Intex skimmer flipping up...pump burned out.

Apr 28, 2017
Ft Worth, TX
Hi Y'all!!

Well, we're super excited to be setting up the pool. I need to practice getting back in my kayak without 'gators around.. This will be our seventh season with an Intex above ground, last year being the easiest for me, as the caretaker, with all I learned here. Thanks!

Pool is up, leveled, and filled. It's too cold to bother with the Intex Saltwater System yet, but I'm putting on the pump and hit my first problem to solve of the season. In all previous years, the in pool skimmer has occasionally popped up and left the the pump running dry. Two years ago, I replaced the skimmer, and what came was a larger heavier version that does that, flips up, on the regular...once on vacation. Who knows how long it was running partially dry??

By the end of last season, the pump was loud and sounded awful. I bought another Intex 2500gph Pump on clearance, just in case. and sure enough, today, the old pump let me know...LOUDLY...that it needed to be put out to Pool Pump Pasture. I'm sure all four of my in ground pool neighbors will be appreciative of the burial.;)

Any suggestions, other than putting rocks in the skimmer (which I will try), for keeping the skimmer in place? I need to get this running because Spring is dropping quite a bit of debris in the pool.

Thanks and Yippeee!!! Spring has Sprung
Lauri

The best thing you can do is to replace that over the wall skimmer with a Hayward Dyna-skim through wall skimmer. Search here for it - there are many instructional threads.

Hi Y'all!!

Well, we're super excited to be setting up the pool. I need to practice getting back in my kayak without 'gators around.. This will be our seventh season with an Intex above ground, last year being the easiest for me, as the caretaker, with all I learned here. Thanks!

Pool is up, leveled, and filled. It's too cold to bother with the Intex Saltwater System yet, but I'm putting on the pump and hit my first problem to solve of the season. In all previous years, the in pool skimmer has occasionally popped up and left the the pump running dry. Two years ago, I replaced the skimmer, and what came was a larger heavier version that does that, flips up, on the regular...once on vacation. Who knows how long it was running partially dry??

By the end of last season, the pump was loud and sounded awful. I bought another Intex 2500gph Pump on clearance, just in case. and sure enough, today, the old pump let me know...LOUDLY...that it needed to be put out to Pool Pump Pasture. I'm sure all four of my in ground pool neighbors will be appreciative of the burial.;)

Any suggestions, other than putting rocks in the skimmer (which I will try), for keeping the skimmer in place? I need to get this running because Spring is dropping quite a bit of debris in the pool.

Thanks and Yippeee!!! Spring has Sprung
Lauri

Zip ties. Hasn’t budged since I put these. Even with the kids going nuts in the pool.

f6cec3ba6634e8a42c6482c25cda7f8b.jpg
cbac54e9463e1d1ddd671c1343126f77.jpg
3eb522d983b3436e5ddb14d4e7026a0a.jpg
f5314eea8d620ece3166afba1015a2f8.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.