Intex Sand Filter "Filter" Mode Issues

MegaMilez

Dec 13, 2019
TX
Hello all!
I'm new here and did some searching before my post, but didn't come across a thread that was my "exact" situation. Hopefully you guys can help me solve my issue as I've been trying to get things running for weeks on my own (UGH!)

So, I've got my filter set up (brand new), followed all the directions (no air in the system, and no leaks - water level consistent. The problem is, when on filter mode, it runs fine for a bit (about 5-10 minutes) then water progressively stops flowing out of the output into the pool. Pressure gauge is always fine in the green, and I've done the backwash and rinse process several times (water is always clear). I read about algae being an issue, but I don't think that is the case because the issue is present with fresh water.

I know the pump itself is working fine because the recirculate mode runs without issue.

Help me!!!! Thanks in advance!

You say it is brand new. Have you had this problem since the initial setup or did it just start happening? Do you have the right size sand (actual pool filter sand)?

You may or may not have algae but it does sound like you have a filter problem. This is what I recommend but it might be a good idea to wait until someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

Do another backwash then set your filter to "filter" with your pump on high. Note the exact pressure and feel the flow coming out of the returns. Check both the pressure and flow again in half an hour. Pay attention to the sound of the pump. Does it get louder? Report back with results.

Also, do you have a main drain? Try shutting off either the main drain or the skimmer and see if the results are the same.

You may or may not have algae but it does sound like you have a filter problem. This is what I recommend but it might be a good idea to wait until someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

Do another backwash then set your filter to "filter" with your pump on high. Note the exact pressure and feel the flow coming out of the returns. Check both the pressure and flow again in half an hour. Pay attention to the sound of the pump. Does it get louder? Report back with results.

Also, do you have a main drain? Try shutting off either the main drain or the skimmer and see if the results are the same.

I don't have a "high" setting on my model. As mentioned in OP, the pressure gauge stays the same regardless of the flow - but a backwash does help restore more flow. After the time you stated, it has usually stopped flowing entirely (on filter mode). The sound is a bit louder, as if the impeller is stuck, but I know that isn't the issue because the recirculate works just fine.

You've maxed out my trouble shooting ability on this one. But if the pressure does not change at all, I would say that either your gauge is bad or maybe the multi-port valve has an issue.

Thanks for all the replies!

I paid closer attention to the gauge today. I let it run on recirculate for a while the night before and the gauge is fully in the green. All times prior (on filter mode), it was in the green, but very close to the yellow (even when no flow was present). Backwashing doesn't solve the issue in the long run as I did it again and filter mode lasted for about 10 minutes only.

Could a touch too much sand create this issue? I filled it to the high mark, but definitely not all the way. I also ready about someone having some sort of plastic end up blocking the flow as well.

Does your gauge not have numbers on it? Some pictures might be helpful.

A deep cleaning of the sand will not hurt. If there is any plastic or anything in there it would be good to flush it out. Search the site for deep cleaning sand instructions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Attached are the pics of the gauge (sorry its blurry, its close to a fence.) The second pic is what it reads at when there is no flow

Will be giving the deep cleaning a go this week and see how we do.

Attachments

• IMG_4841.jpg
    IMG_4841.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4842.jpg
    IMG_4842.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I performed the deep clean today and removed some sand. There was def a layer of gunk on top of the sand bed. I did the "setup" run (backwashing/rinse) and it has been running for about 2 hours now with some great flow on filter mode!!! Hopefully it stays this way :D

That is great news. Pay attention to your pressure. Sand filters work better when they are a little dirty. You should only need to backwash when the filter pressure rises to 25% higher than your clean pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.