Intex Sand Filter air issues

Poolnewbie144

Jul 2, 2020
Littleton, CO
Okay, first time intex pool owner here. We have a Ultra Frame XTR with sand filter. We just got it all filled up and are trying to run the filter (backwashing first) but it runs great for like 60 seconds, pressure green, output good. Then it starts making noises and gets air in the basket and we have to stop it get the air out and try again. We've taken it apart and retightened all of the stuff like the directions say, but it still does this.Do we need to add anything extra to stop this air from getting in? (We followed the directions but obviously air is getting in somewhere. )

Is any connection cross threaded? Check to make sure if you have a bleeder valve that it is tightly closed. Also make sure that the intake on the pool side is free from debris. Do you have an in wall skimmer? Did you fill the filter with water first before turning on the pump?

I am having the same issue with the basket filling with air. I think I have tracked mine down to the union between the basket and the pump housing. The two o-rings there are either too old, or too small to do the job they need to do. They are letting in air when the suction side is running. I would check for a leak at that union. If I can solve mine, I will post again here to let you know.

I had the same problem when I enlarged my intake hoses to 1.5”. Found out I was missing a gasket. Funny thing, when the pump was running, the gasket missing area didn’t leak, but shut the pump off, and the drip would start. It was sucking in air, and I couldn’t use the plunger valve because it would suck so much air in.

Yep, make sure gaskets are in place. If you are missing one, you can get gasket material at HD or Lowe’s and cut your own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.