Intex saltwater water system salt ppm woes and general Rust prevention questions?

If you have an intex pool I would not recommend using the salt system. Our ultra lasted 1 year before it was eaten through with rust. Just replaced with a saltwater 8000 aqua leader pool from the pool factory and I hope it lasts. Our first intex ultra lasted 4 years before a root poked through the liner but we didn't use the salt system, only Bbb. I can send photos of the horrible rust if you message me.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
If you have an intex pool I would not recommend using the salt system. Our ultra lasted 1 year before it was eaten through with rust. Just replaced with a saltwater 8000 aqua leader pool from the pool factory and I hope it lasts. Our first intex ultra lasted 4 years before a root poked through the liner but we didn't use the salt system, only Bbb. I can send photos of the horrible rust if you message me.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious where you ended up seeing the rust at.. was it at the T joints like in my previous image. Also curious.. i assume you monitored ph levels to avoid them getting low and causing corrosion just from Ph drops too?

I have the fluid spray, rust-oleum spray and rescue tape.. i'm going to fix the already rusted weld spot and maybe apply at other strategic places hoping to prevent it. My feet are buried in sand/rock, so i dont think they will be an issue.. just from about 6-10" up from them.

Rust everywhere starting at t joints. I'm going to try to post from photobucket. I am a chemist by profession and I manage my water extremely well with multiple dogs and kids swimming. I have had pools all my life.

Rust just starting here.

Initial pool setup in July 2015

Last edited:
I also have an Intex Ultra frame that has rusted to the point of collapse in one year. I use the intex salt water chlorinator. I had to buy a new pool. I am researching what i can apply to the joints to help prevent this in my new one. I love my saltwater and do not want to fo back to chlorine. I saw the reply with the spray film but i dont want a sticky residue. There has to be something that will seal it so the water does not get into the joints.

You must closely manage your pH with a saltwater pool. Improperly managed pH causes the most rust in pool related items.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.