Intex pump/sand filter upgrade

mikeems911...Comparing the two setups, it appears the RAYPAK 18" sand filter and 1 HP pump has a little more power and filtering capacity than the INTEX 16" sand filter and .5 HP pump, but I don't think it amounts to that much of an upgrade. Can I ask why you're looking to purchase the RAYPAK set-up? Is your INTEX pump/filter working as it should? Are you unhappy with the INTEX set-up? If you're looking to upgrade your pump/filter set-up, there are better options out there that will give you noticeably better results. When I upgraded I went with the Pentair 2HP/2SP Pump & 150sqft Cartridge Filter PNCC0150OP2160. The 2HP motor's a little much, but it runs on low speed all the time. The cartridge filter was a gigantic upgrade from the INTEX sand filter. I say, if your going to go through the additional work necessary to upgrade to a non-INTEX set-up (Changing fittings, finding adapters, etc.) you may be better served with something other than that particular RAYPAK. Just an opinion.....

Let's see if we can get a couple with more experience/knowledge to join in.

@cowboycasey
@Newdude
@Texas Splash
@kellyfair
@Teald024

Last edited:
You really do not need more than 1 hp if you do not have a 2 speed pump.. The 2 speed is great for a 1 hp pump, that is what I had and ran it on low 90% of the time... anything over 1hp 1 speed is really wasting energy to move a lot of water at high pressure just because...

I’m of the bigger is always better camp, but for an 8400 gallon INTEX I probably wouldn’t invest anything. I’d start saving for a more permanent solution now that you’ve proven you are a ‘pool person’. I hope it lasts a long time, but they don’t last forever and you will be replacing it at some point. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.