Intex Pump/Filter/Salt Water System w/Heater Routing

airbur

Gold Supporter
Jul 4, 2017
Colorado
Howdy...brand new here and looking for a little advice on my pool setup. I recently purchased the Intex 2650 Saltwater System and Sand Filter Pump. With this setup the electrolytic cell is attached directly to the 6 way valve on the sand filter. The heater is a Hayward 150K BTU unit and the instructions state the pump and filter should be upstream and the "Chlorinator" be downstream. Obviously, with this Intex system, I can't separate the electrolytic cell from the filter.

1. Is the salt water electrolytic cell the same thing as a Chlorinator in this situation?

2. Is it ok to install the pump/filter downstream of the heater?

Thanks!

OK... you want your filter to clean the water before it goes to the heater, (that way the crud that comes out of your pool doesn't get baked onto the heater lines).
Remember that the #2 killer of chlorine is HEAT (right behind UV)... so you want to disconnect the line going from the filter to the SWG... run a line from the filter to the heater... then back to the SWG, then to the pool.

Upon doing some reading on your set-up... I don't see a way of doing it "Properly"... the heaters are set-up as a pressure side system. (Which would mean that you would be sending freshly made chlorine through it).

You may want to keep your old pump handy, and set it up as a dedicated heater pump. (only run it when you need the heater running.)

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like there is no way to set this up correctly. This is the first time I've set it up so I don't have any old pumps etc. May try to sell it and purchase the individual components separably.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.