Intex Prism vs Ultra Frame differences/opinions?

Jun 5, 2014
Brentwood, Ca (Nor-Cal)
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all!

looking to purchase a intex on clearance for next summer as kids are older or maybe this summer if I can get it prepped. Had a 16x48 Intex Ultra frame in 2014 and then we had 2 babies so priorities took over. Need to re-level etc as its been a few years!

I found a 15'x48" Intex Prism for $280 but whats the major differences? Both show metal poles in listing but figure others may have 1st hand knowledge or if i should steer clear and wait for an Ultra FRame.

Plan to add sand filter and hayward in wall skimmer (Again LOL)

I have a prism frame, that is the old style Intex with round poles.
Mine has been up for 6 years now showing a touch of rust at 6 tee welds, longest less then an inch.
Read a lot about rusted out Intex Ultra frame pools this year, which is probably why Intex upgraded to the XTR coating on newer Ultra Frames.
Search the forum for more info.

Thank you! I may go prism even if it lasts 2-3 years, I actually just got off the phone with Intex and they said minus the colors and plastic T for legs/supports they are pretty much the same. i don't even see a 16x48 ultra offered online, target has a 15x48 prism for $280,

Bought my Intel 3 years ago and noticed today 3 poles almost rusted out on the bottom. Lots of rust in other places. Maybe because I have saltwater. Hoping it will hold up this summer and may be a different brand next year, or at least rustproof new poles. I can only go to 15’ so my options are limited.

Bought my Intel 3 years ago and noticed today 3 poles almost rusted out on the bottom. Lots of rust in other places. Maybe because I have saltwater. Hoping it will hold up this summer and may be a different brand next year, or at least rustproof new poles. I can only go to 15’ so my options are limited.
Was it an Ultra frame, I run salt on mine for the last 6 years and have minimal rust.

I think, with all the stories of rust in the frames, that it's a good idea to rustproof the members of the frame before setting it up. I used clear Rustoleum and plan to wrap the joints with silicone tape if it ever stops raining and everything dries out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed01

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a thought i had on this as my pool is just a basic intex metal frame. Has anyone considered using that spray expanding foam to fill the poles, posts and t joints? Amd just cutting out foam for the pins? I would think it would seal the main bodies of the t joints as well as posts and poles. Just curious as to thoughs on this as trying to spray the innards of them with anti rust or rust resistant paint sounds like a hard thing to do to make sure you get all of the inner surfaces coated let alone evenly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.