intex pool cleaner doesn't stay on bottom

tmking86

Jul 21, 2020
Largo, FL
I did a search for this question/issue but couldn't find any information so here we go...
We recently bought (used) the Intex pool pressure-side cleaner - Model 2800ie - which requires a filter pump with a flow rate between 1,600 - 3,500 gph. Our 1.5hp Hayward pump has a maximum flow rate of 7200 gph. Our pump is way overpowered for the cleaner and the head of the cleaner "flies" around inside the 20' pool instead of running along the bottom as it should. Are there any modifications that can be made to make this cleaner work with my existing pump? Thanks for any suggestions/solutions. [in case you're wondering why i bought a cleaner that doesn't match my pump... i didn't know any of these specs when i made the purchase.]

Last edited:
Put a 3-way valve in the cleaner pressure line and divert some of the water directly into the pool.

Reactions: jseyfert3
You could always divert it to a home made sprinkler- kill 2 birds with one stone - clean & cool pool 😁
That’s how i’ve always used mine - on my summer waves pool i had a simple t & cheap ball valves & could control how much water went to the sprinkler & return without creating too much back pressure on the pump. On my permanent above ground pool I have 2 jets that are split at the pump so it’s automatically less pressure & 1 jet may or may not have an amazon sprinkler & the other one would have the intex automatic pool cleaner.

You could always divert it to a home made sprinkler- kill 2 birds with one stone - clean & cool pool 😁
That’s how i’ve always used mine - on my summer waves pool i had a simple t & cheap ball valves & could control how much water went to the sprinkler & return without creating too much back pressure on the pump. On my permanent above ground pool I have 2 jets that are split at the pump so it’s automatically less pressure & 1 jet may or may not have an amazon sprinkler & the other one would have the intex automatic pool cleaner.
I’ll definitely check that out. I don’t know anything about pool sprinklers - another rabbit hole to explore! Lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.