Ashburn, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hello I have a wooden deck around an intex ABG pool and I am planning my winter closing. Since the deck goes around the entire pool I am thinking instead of a winter cover I could use a safety cover anchored to the deck with brass posts and springs?

My main concern is that I plan to drop the water below the lowest return and skimmer which would make it aprox about 2 feet below the deck. Is this too low for one of these covers to handle the snow melting? I still plan to put an air pillow in the pool and possibly 2-4 exercise balls in soccer bags as recommended in another thread. (One at each corner and air pillow in the middle) attached is a picture of the safety cover I am considering and any advice or even comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-231704_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-231704_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 11
Those are designed to be on or near the water.. they have a warning on them of 18 inches between the cover and water.. Do you get lots of leaves? I have not used a cover for 8 years and have had no issues at all but I do not get many leaves...

Be sure not to drop the pool’s water level more than 18” from top of pool during winter months. Failure to do so will place undue strain on the cover and void the warranty.

Reactions: chi-chi
Attached is the deck so its more clear. @cowboycasey that was my concern. I do get some leaves but not a lot and my neighbors have cut back some trees which is even better but as you can see there are still some.

I would consider leaving the pool full and plugging the skimmer and returns but I admittedly am a little afraid since this is an intex pool although it has hard plumbing and hayward skimmers?

Attachments

• 20210903_164941_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    20210903_164941_copy_3000x2250.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 22
I have left mine full for 8 years it will be just fine if you winterize it and blow out the lines.. You can do it 2 ways..

1. use this bungee plug in the skimmer and returns and blow out the system from the pump side.. Amazon.com : Aqua Group Aqua Products Plug for 1.5 Inch Lines BP15 : Tools & Home Improvement
2. use 1.5 inch threaded to slip with about 18 inch pipe and screw into the returns and then use a Gizmo Amazon.com : Gizzmo MWUG Ultra Skimmer Freeze Protection with Blowout Valve, 16- Inch : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

You can see them below, this gives you the ability to blow them out from the pool side and leave it full :)

Okay so now I will plan to leave it full for the winter if you can help me a bit more "step by step" in fashion? Here is what I have now to help winterize my pool and possibly I can return and replace items of you don't mind taking a look at my items list @cowboycasey

1) Skimmer wall plate plugs - I got these to close off the skimmer faceplate
Simpooltech Standard Mouth Skimmer Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008V572D...abc_54QRFK5G7SCPACRP3TS1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2) Skimmer gizzmo - I got these to close off the skimmer plumbing and for freezing and thawing inside the skimmer but this one doesn't have a blow out, should I exchange it for the one you listed?
Gizzmo 4101 9 Inch Swimming Pool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESYOH6...abc_47C26D6JBK2RG6ATGJXR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3) Rubber plugs with valve - I bought these thinking I could plug locations and use my air compressor to blow out the air. This was when I was draining below the lowest returns though
Rubber Plug with Valve for 1-1/2 Inch Pipe and 1-3/4 Inch Fitting, with Blow Thru Valve Amazon.com : Rubber Plug with Valve for 1-1/2 Inch Pipe and 1-3/4 Inch Fitting, with Blow Thru Valve : Patio, Lawn & Garden

4) Return plugs - I got these to cap off returns etc. These also were bought thinking I would drain below the returns
MAKHOON 1.5" Threaded Pool Spa Return Winterizing Plug Filter Drain Plug SP1022C with O-Ring for Winterizing Pools During Winter Season and for Most Hayward Pentair Pool Filter Drain Plug (6 Pack) Amazon.com: MAKHOON 1.5" Threaded Pool Spa Return Winterizing Plug Filter Drain Plug SP1022C with O-Ring for Winterizing Pools During Winter Season and for Most Hayward Pentair Pool Filter Drain Plug (6 Pack) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

5) air pillow - again thinking I would drain some water amd use a solid tarp pool cover but this may still be useful even with the safety cover if left full?
MAKHOON 1.5" Threaded Pool Spa Return Winterizing Plug Filter Drain Plug SP1022C with O-Ring for Winterizing Pools During Winter Season and for Most Hayward Pentair Pool Filter Drain Plug (6 Pack) Amazon.com: MAKHOON 1.5" Threaded Pool Spa Return Winterizing Plug Filter Drain Plug SP1022C with O-Ring for Winterizing Pools During Winter Season and for Most Hayward Pentair Pool Filter Drain Plug (6 Pack) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

1. if you get the gizmo that can be blow out you will not need this one. I actually just ordered this one.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714KB8S5

2. I would get the blow out one, just easier and can be blown out towards the pump..

3. these can still work but use only 1 at the pump side blowing the returns out using the Bungee plugs, way easier and it worked great all winter for me..

4. like you say, these are great but you have to empty below them to be used...

5. Air pillows almost never work for long, most get holes in them.. they are supposed to get the water to the sides and not the middle.. I just do not know how much it will help the cover... I guess it will not hurt to try it out :)

Okay thanks I got the bungee plugs and blow thru gizzmo. Just need a valve to connect my air compressor to the pump side somehow. Thanks

Okay thanks I got the bungee plugs and blow thru gizzmo. Just need a valve to connect my air compressor to the pump side somehow. Thanks
Are you going to do the safety cover on the wood deck? I would like to hear how this turned out as I was thinking to do the same.
I have a intex 16 x 32 pool. It is surrounded by deck on 3 sides so we would need to use lawn tubes on the fourth, open side.

We have 3 kids and a dog, none of whom I’d like taking an accidental polar plunge especially once the stairs are removed for winter. Or can I leave plastic stairs in for safety through the North Carolina winter? We also have a ton of trees around and a little less debris to clean in the spring would be a welcome change.

Are you going to do the safety cover on the wood deck? I would like to hear how this turned out as I was thinking to do the same.
I have a intex 16 x 32 pool. It is surrounded by deck on 3 sides so we would need to use lawn tubes on the fourth, open side.

We have 3 kids and a dog, none of whom I’d like taking an accidental polar plunge especially once the stairs are removed for winter. Or can I leave plastic stairs in for safety through the North Carolina winter? We also have a ton of trees around and a little less debris to clean in the spring would be a welcome change.
Yes I did order it and waiting for it to ship... (delayed). Once installed I'll update. If you get a winter with freezing I'd highly suggest removing the stairs... do you plan on leaving it full? Not sure what lawn tubes are but the forth side definitely would need to be anchored in at the same height and spacing for the tension of the springs to do their job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.