Intex again, or something that will last longer

Apr 4, 2015
Western, WA
Hello TFP,
We greatly enjoyed an Intex Ultra Frame 26' x 52" round pool for the last three summers. But by late last summer, the rusting of the horizontal support beams was very severe (end of 3rd season) and I took it down for good. We use an Intex SWG and while we like that, it probably helped the rust come sooner than later. So now I see that they don't make that 26' size anymore! Intex offers the Ultra "XTR" Frame pool in a max size of 24 feet across (for round pools). I don't really want to give up that 2' of width... I've also bee looking at Royalswimmingpools.com and they have what seem like some nice AGP options--27' diameter pools would require minimal work to clear & level what we already have for the 26' Intex. Granted, by the time they're installed, they are going to be at least 2x to 3x more than the $1,200 or so for an intex, but in the long run that might be worth it if they last longer. And that brings up another point. Our kids are 13, 13 and 11. How much longer will kids want to be swimming in our back yard AGP? Maybe 3 more years of an Intex is the way to go, then we're done with the whole pool thing? Just looking for input on things to consider and what some of you have done in similar circumstances.
Also, Royalswimmingpools.com has saltwater AGP's and non-saltwater AGP's. What's the difference? Less steel and more resin I'm guessing?
Thanks!

I looked at Royal Swimming Pools when I was trying to find a pool. I really liked some of their pools. And yes, the resin pools are the ones they list as salt water friendly. I'd think about how I planned to use the pool in the long run and make my decision based off that. Will you junk the pool as soon as the kids stop using it? Do you ever enjoy its use? I think if I planned on having a pool for, say, 4/5 years or less, I'd probably go back with an intex and hope to get 5 years out of it. I'd definitely go for the newer XTR and hope the rust prevention is better than the metal or prism frames. If, however, I wanted a pool to last longer than 5 years, I think an upgrade to a better pool would be worth it. Personal choice though and no right or wrong, just what works for your family. Good luck

Intex does make a 26' Ultra XTR model. I own one now (still in the box though). It's available through Walmart. They do not list or sell it on their own website. I'm not sure why. I too thought they only made the Ultra XTR in up to 24' until a member here pointed it out to me a while back while it temporarily was on sale.

I went with another Intex 26' x 54" round pool. This one is labeled an XTR but looks exactly like the outgoing Ultra Frame that I bought in '17. Hopefully it holds up better. Was lucky to get this one as they were selling out fast. Paid a premium for it, but Walmart sensed they were in high demand I guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.