Intex AG pool with cloudy water after algae

Ok. I'm not used to the pool calculator yet. How can I figure out how many oz. of 6% Clorox bleach to add to the water in order to get the FC level up to at least 8 ppm?

When I do add the bleach to the water, do I just pour it right in to the pool while the pump is running, or do I need to mix in a bucket of water first?

Put your pool volume in up top (no commas, just numbers), then in the next section down put your starting FC level and you desired FC level to the right of that. Then to the right of that put in your bleach percentage and it should tell you how many ounces you need. I get 83 oz of 6% to go from 0 to 8 ppm FC for your 5000 gallon pool.

Just pour it slowly into the return stream of water (water coming back into the pool).

Great, thank you! At a level of 8 ppm, is it possible that the chlorine could bleach the vinyl liner of the pool, or bleach swimwear? Is the high CYA keeping the chlorine weaker at that level than it would be if the CYA was lower (normal range)?

Just fyi...my cya is 40 and tonight my fc was about 10.5 (coming back down from shock/slam level yesterday) we swam no problems.
You can trust the advice here, they're awesome! That's my non technical answer. I'm sure someone will give you the technical answer soon! Something along the lines of "you can safely swim in fc levels up to the shock level for your cya"

I'm in the process of getting a better test kit. In the meantime, I've been adding bleach for chlorine and borax to slightly raise my pH, both according to the amounts given by the pool calculator. I also cleaned my pool's cover with bleach spray yesterday and put it back on the pool while we're not using it. I went out and checked the water today and it looks much clearer (hardly cloudy at all), but slightly yellowish, and I'm still seeing a few green specks on the bottom. If algaecide doesn't increase my already high CYA level, is it safe to add some of that to help with the green specks, or should I just add more bleach to get the chlorine level up even more?

Algaecide does not kill living algae. It only helps prevent an algae bloom from starting. I didn't re-read the whole thread, so I don't remember the whole story. Have you ordered one of the recommended test kits? Where did you get the CYA of 100 from? If you didn't order one of the recommended test kits, do that now. Since you have green spots, you will need to SLAM the pool, which will be impossible without the recommended test kit, and also difficult with a CYA of 100, which could actually be much higher.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JohnN said:
Algaecide does not kill living algae. It only helps prevent an algae bloom from starting. I didn't re-read the whole thread, so I don't remember the whole story. Have you ordered one of the recommended test kits? Where did you get the CYA of 100 from? If you didn't order one of the recommended test kits, do that now. Since you have green spots, you will need to SLAM the pool, which will be impossible without the recommended test kit, and also difficult with a CYA of 100, which could actually be much higher.
Algaecides will kill algae, just not at a fast enough rate for the SLAM process. Proper chlorination does the job whether SLAMing or maintaining.

I received my TF100 and tested my water yesterday evening. The results were as follows:

FC = 5.5
CC = 0.5
CYA = 50
CH = 270
TA = 80
PH = 7.5

The water looks pretty clear now, but I need to vacuum a few leaves and some settled dirt out. I also just changed the filter on Thurs. I'm wondering if my CYA was ever as high as the last pool store test indicated (they gave a reading of 100 last Fri.).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.