intex 18x9 site prep started - french drain advice

anthony24

Jul 1, 2019
charleston,sc
I've started work on leveling our area for an intex 18x9. Unfortunately our yard slopes quite a bit and we're on clay that doesn't drain well.

The pic below is after a heavy thunderstorm so I was thinking I would finish leveling the area then install a french drain along the yellow line routing out beyond the fence which continues sloping down into a ditch.

Then I'll install a retaining wall along the edges with treated lumber and fill, compact, and level with crushed stone.

Is my plan solid? Any advice?

I've started work on leveling our area for an intex 18x9. Unfortunately our yard slopes quite a bit and we're on clay that doesn't drain well.

The pic below is after a heavy thunderstorm so I was thinking I would finish leveling the area then install a french drain along the yellow line routing out beyond the fence which continues sloping down into a ditch.

Then I'll install a retaining wall along the edges with treated lumber and fill, compact, and level with crushed stone.

Is my plan solid? Any advice?

View attachment 110153

Have you moved forward yet? Where are you at? I just did weeping tile around my pool to a dry well and can give some advice if you are still looking for it!

Worked on removing more dirt/clay yesterday and bailed most of the water out only to have another thunderstorm today while I'm at work.

I'm all ears for any advice.

My yard is flat, flat, flat. No where to drain water except for 200' away. I trencher all the way around my 21' pool base, and installed weeping tile starting at 12" down and gradually sloping around either side of the pool to the far side, connected the pipe and extended another piece 15' behind the pool. I then put a 30 gallon drum (with holes in it) at the height of the tile so it can drain into it. The bottom of the drum is in sand and the whole thing is filled with large rock and washed gravel. This way any water that finds its way near the edge of my pool will collect in the weeping tile and be directed to the dry well.

In your case, I would run a piece down either side of your pool and along the right side (in your picture), with all pieces joining and a single pipe running away to the fence line or to a lower spot in your yard. Don't use the filter fabric, encase the whole drain pipe in washed gravel. 1/4" slope per 1' is adequate. Test it with water before you backfill.

Yeah I guess the positive about my situation is that I don't have very far to go and won't need dry wells.

Just to make sure I'm understanding your saying I should add the green lines like in this pic. That makes sense.

I'm thinking this is the right pipe to use
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-Pipe-4-in-x-10-ft-Sewer-Drain-Pipe-PVC-Sewer-Pipe/3362194

I knew the gravel was needed but are you recommending to skip the filter fabric because of clogging issues?

IMG_20190707_164003_edit2.jpg

Yeah I guess the positive about my situation is that I don't have very far to go and won't need dry wells.

Just to make sure I'm understanding your saying I should add the green lines like in this pic. That makes sense.

I'm thinking this is the right pipe to use
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-Pipe-4-in-x-10-ft-Sewer-Drain-Pipe-PVC-Sewer-Pipe/3362194

I knew the gravel was needed but are you recommending to skip the filter fabric because of clogging issues?

View attachment 110294

This is the type I used: https://www.lowes.com/pd/ADS-4-in-x-100-ft-Corrugated-Perforated-Pipe/50163593

I'm not sure the slope of your yard but anywhere the water may run into our under your pool can benefit from weeping tile. Then, join the runs at the low point of each intersection and direct it away. Don't put it under your pool, around the perimeter a foot or so out from the base/legs.

General consensus I found was that the filter sock can clog over time from silt and fines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.