Intex 18ft X 9ft X 52in Ultra XTR Rectangular Pool placed on top of the pawers

trustus

Mar 29, 2020
Orlando
Hello All, this is our first pool and are still waiting for delivery but want to prepare everything when pool arrives. We purchased
Intex 18ft X 9ft X 52in Ultra XTR Rectangular Pool and is going to placed on top of the pavers. Obviously not directly on pavers and here is where I have some questions. We are living in Orlando Florida so weather is always good and no freezing. Pavers are almost 100% straight but can also be corrected so ground is
straight as much as possible. My plan is to cover the pavers with different kind of protection. Listed below:

1. Super durable industrial strength tarp
2. Extruded polystyrene foam 2 inches thick (so liner never touches pavers)
3. Gorilla pad

Do u have any other suggestions or comments that can help me to make sure liner is kept in place and secure.
What is my understanding, polystyrene foam is waterproof. Is it 2 inches too much?

Should I tighten pool legs - holders into the pavers so pool cannot shift?

I attached pictures of the Gazebo, pool is going to go from left to right and partially sit under the shade for most of the time.

Also, if you can suggest better quality pump instead of what is coming with the package.

Thank you all with your help!!!

Attachments

• 20200329_142417_resized.jpg
    20200329_142417_resized.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200329_142437_resized.jpg
    20200329_142437_resized.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Pump.JPG
    Pump.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Intex pool.jpg
    Intex pool.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

Hello All, this is our first pool and are still waiting for delivery but want to prepare everything when pool arrives. We purchased
Intex 18ft X 9ft X 52in Ultra XTR Rectangular Pool and is going to placed on top of the pavers. Obviously not directly on pavers and here is where I have some questions. We are living in Orlando Florida so weather is always good and no freezing. Pavers are almost 100% straight but can also be corrected so ground is
straight as much as possible. My plan is to cover the pavers with different kind of protection. Listed below:

1. Super durable industrial strength tarp
2. Extruded polystyrene foam 2 inches thick (so liner never touches pavers)
3. Gorilla pad

Do u have any other suggestions or comments that can help me to make sure liner is kept in place and secure.

First thing ... put a level on the pavers in the area you will set the pool and confirm it is level to within 1/2". This may help you How to level above ground pool - Further Reading

Don't assume your pavers are level as they may have been installed with a slope for drainage. You don't want to be suprised after you fill the pool with water.

Should I tighten pool legs - holders into the pavers so pool cannot shift?

No. The water weight will hold everything down.

Also, if you can suggest better quality pump instead of what is coming with the package.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

First thing ... put a level on the pavers in the area you w ill set the pool and confirm it is level to within 1/2". This may help you How to level above ground pool - Further Reading

Don't assume your pavers are level as they may have been installed with a slope for drainage. You don't want to be suprised after you fill the pool with water.

No. The water weight will hold everything down.

Thank you very much!

For the pavers if not completely flat up to 1/2 inch is acceptable?

I really like my saltwater system. I used one the past 2 summers on my intex and will use it again this year. Under the pool, I really like XPS foam. It feels nice to walk on and, in my experience, it kept the pool bottom smooth so it was easy to vacuum. If you use it just be sure to double or triple tape the seams.

Do you know what the base is under the pavers?

Are you sure there is no fill under the pavers and it is on undisturbed ground?

How old is the pavers deck?

How many gallons will the pool be?

Hi, base is crushed cement and sand - it is very compact - all the edges are cemented and nothing can move. Pavers are one year old and pool will be 3800 gallons. I red online about very few people installing pool on the pavers but there are some. I understand protection below pool is most important and I am trying to figure out what to put and in what order. Extruded polystyrene foam is waterproof and goes up to 2 inches thick - that is suggested from some guys who install outdoor pools.

I know so little about pools and now it is time to get some answers from great community like TFP. I appreciate all of the help given.

Also, looking to buy salt water system to add for the cleanliness.

Thank you.

Nothing can move but your pavers can sink. You are putting 32,000 lbs, over 6 tons in a small area. Pools usually need to be set on undisturbed ground, not filled and compacted that can settle further.

@jimmythegreek what do you think?

Reactions: Lee218
Nothing can move but your pavers can sink. You are putting 32,000 lbs, over 6 tons in a small area. Pools usually need to be set on undisturbed ground, not filled and compacted that can settle further.

@jimmythegreek what do you think?
So my plan is to put materials under the pool in this order - I might be wrong - tell me what do you think?

1. strong tarp
2. Waterproof foam (was planning 2 inches but 1 inch should be enough)
3. Gorilla padding not - sure does it comes with foam cove already installed inside the padding.

Pool now goes on top of everything. Any suggestions about order? Appreciated.

Last edited:
Are you intending to put the metal support legs on top of those materials?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you intending to put the metal support legs on top of those materials?
Oh, I didnt know I should? I was planning just to put materials and than pool on top of it. Pool it self has support. Can you please elaborate regarding metal support legs and where to get them or to make them on my own? I did input picture of the pool with support. I can drill support around pool legs into pavers so it will never move.

Attachments

• Intex pool.jpg
    Intex pool.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 9
The pool has the metal support legs. I don’t think you should put the pool legs on top of all the materials you are listing. The pool legs need to be on solid pavers that are on undisturbed ground.

Reactions: JeaniB
Welcome to TFP! You are in the right place. I have the larger version of the same pool. I just opened for season #2. I am happy with the filter system that came with mine, I did get the Salt water system and I love it. The key to these pools is that they MUST be on level, stable ground. I paid someone to prepare my site, a week after installation a couple of pavers broke and two of my support poles bent! I had to drain, wait for replacement parts and start over again. Not a fun experience! Please make sure your site is level and stable! I used the tarp that came with the pool, followed by insulation foam board, then a gorilla pad. My pool floor is even and comfortable. Best of luck to you, this is the best place for information, advice and support! Keep us updated!

Welcome to TFP! You are in the right place. I have the larger version of the same pool. I just opened for season #2. I am happy with the filter system that came with mine, I did get the Salt water system and I love it. The key to these pools is that they MUST be on level, stable ground. I paid someone to prepare my site, a week after installation a couple of pavers broke and two of my support poles bent! I had to drain, wait for replacement parts and start over again. Not a fun experience! Please make sure your site is level and stable! I used the tarp that came with the pool, followed by insulation foam board, then a gorilla pad. My pool floor is even and comfortable. Best of luck to you, this is the best place for information, advice and support! Keep us updated!
Hi, thank you for the help!

I planning to put pool on top of the pavers, they are not more than 1/2 inch from one side to another. Plan to put tarp, foam and padding only under the pool without abstracting pool legs. Pool legs will stay clear of anything, we will cut all of my materials only for the area under the poo. What kind of Salt water system you got? Can you write model number please.

Hi, thank you for the help!

I planning to put pool on top of the pavers, they are not more than 1/2 inch from one side to another. Plan to put tarp, foam and padding only under the pool without abstracting pool legs. Pool legs will stay clear of anything, we will cut all of my materials only for the area under the poo. What kind of Salt water system you got? Can you write model number please.

I ordered the sand filter and SWG with the pool from Intex. It came as a package from Amazon.

Attachments

• intex pump.jpg
    intex pump.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 17
yes you will still need stabilizer/CYA and probably some muriatic acid. You should probably get a gallon or two of liquid chloring or ordinary bleach (no scents or other goo) if you can find it just to get started. get a good test kit, as recommended here TF-100 Test Kit ™ is the one I have (and the speed stir device makes life so great, totally worth it) and read Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.