Daphne AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I've been reading the posts and have a few questions. For a smooth bottom, do you use EITHER sand or foam boards/Gorilla pad? Or both? If both, sand first, compacted, with foam boards on top? Is it ok to skip the sand and just do foam?

Also, I hate the way it looks with the ugly tarp sticking out under the pool. Can I add a layer of pea gravel over the legs and tarp? Or will that be too sharp? Alternatives? I like the way the round pools look with the edging/border and a layer of gravel and some pavers. It's hard to find images or the rectangular pools with that setup.
Thanks!

You can use either sand or foam. As far as cosmetics go around the pool... anything is possible.

Reactions: Afotomama
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

You can use either sand or foam or pad or some combination of each. It seems like its been done all ways. A lot of it depends on how you want the pool setup. If you are going to put up & take down then the pad is probably enough. If you want it to be more permanent, then use the sand and or foam boards, but both aren't really needed. If you do both, then sand first and then foam boards on top. Yes, it's fine to skip the sand and just do foam. If you use foam, then make sure to tape the seams well so the liner doesn't fall through the seams.
Pavers under the legs. make sure the site is level. If foam is used, make the top level with the top of the pavers.

Reactions: Afotomama
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

You can use either sand or foam or pad or some combination of each. It seems like its been done all ways. A lot of it depends on how you want the pool setup. If you are going to put up & take down then the pad is probably enough. If you want it to be more permanent, then use the sand and or foam boards, but both aren't really needed. If you do both, then sand first and then foam boards on top. Yes, it's fine to skip the sand and just do foam. If you use foam, then make sure to tape the seams well so the liner doesn't fall through the seams.
Pavers under the legs. make sure the site is level. If foam is used, make the top level with the top of the pavers.

Thanks for your help. So we have someone coming to level the spot for us. Once he's done we'll need to dig out the spots for the pavers and get them level. So when we put the foam down we'll be above the pavers by whatever thickness of foam we have. So do we need to be NOT getting the pavers down at ground level, but leave the thickness of the foam sticking out so when we add the foam it stays level?

My plan is the have the ground leveled (an 18x30' area), sink and level the pavers (12"x12"x4"), build border around the 18x30 area and build retaining wall for high end, spray with weed killer, lay down 12x24 triple taped foam, lay down ground cloth and Gorilla pad, set up and fill pool, and then add pea gravel around the base. Does this sound correct?

When you did down for the pavers, dig down enough so that the top of the pavers will be even with the top of the foam (if foam is going above sand). You want the bottom of the liner at the same level as the bottom of the legs.

your plan sounds good.
Thanks much!

When you did down for the pavers, dig down enough so that the top of the pavers will be even with the top of the foam (if foam is going above sand). You want the bottom of the liner at the same level as the bottom of the legs.

your plan sounds good.

Last question (for now!), I made a new post earlier but need an answer quick.

Headed to Home Depot or Lowe's to buy pavers today for my 12x24 Intex. I keep seeing posts about getting 4" pavers because the 2" ones can break. I am looking online and don't see 12x12x4 pavers anywhere, just 12x12x2. Can someone please post a link to the correct type of pavers?

Some people have used 2” pavers with success, other installations are better served with 4”. It all depends on the soil under the pavers.
If you truly can’t find 12x12x4”, what size can you find?
Also, while placing the pavers, know that the legs tend to spread out a bit as the water is filled. Not so critical on a 12x12, but if you go smaller then it may be prudent to move them out an inch to compensate.

Some people have used 2” pavers with success, other installations are better served with 4”. It all depends on the soil under the pavers.
If you truly can’t find 12x12x4”, what size can you find?
Also, while placing the pavers, know that the legs tend to spread out a bit as the water is filled. Not so critical on a 12x12, but if you go smaller then it may be prudent to move them out an inch to compensate.
Someone recommended th 4x8x16, so I'll give those a try. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.