Intermittent Water Loss

Jun 28, 2017
MA
My wife and I purchased our house in the fall of 2016, and inherited a gunite pool built in 2007, just outside of Boston MA. The pool is approximately 26,000 gallons and has a Jandy SWG, and a PCC-2000 floor system with 2 Sta-Rite pumps (1 with a skimmer, floor drain, filter, and heater, and the other with a skimmer driving 9 zones in the floor system). Through the 2017 and 2018 seasons, and up until the first week of August of the 2019 season, we have only had to add water maybe 1 time after an extended period of no rain - otherwise the water level stays pretty constant (we lose a small amount to evaporation as expected, but that is generally offset by rain). Suddenly last Friday, my wife noticed that the pool water level was a little low in the morning (around 8:00), and made a note to add water before an upcoming pool party that weekend (she is out looking at the pool multiple times a day when she lets the dogs out, and she always checks for wayward animals IN the pool and tries to save them, so she observes the water level regularly). At this time, the water level had dropped from the typical location in the center of the tile band, to near the bottom of the skimmers. She happened to be working from home that day, and let the dogs out a couple hours later, and noticed the water was MUCH lower. This time, the water level was completely below the skimmers as well as the top step. I came home from work after hearing this news and assumed I'd find a very obvious indication where this much water had gone. There was NOTHING. I couldn't find any dampness anywhere. I pulled out 2 hoses, and started refilling the pool. After some trial and error (and refilling the pool multiple days in a row), I seemed to have narrowed the problem down to the line running from the filter pump back to the 5 return jets in the side of the pool. For the past few days I left those 5 fittings plugged with the rubber winterizing plugs, and the Jandy valve at the outlet of the heater set to direct all water to the 2 fixed floor jets which direct debris into the floor drain (the only part of the floor system which is run by the filter pump and not the dedicated floor system pump). For 3 days I ran the pool this way and had minimal water loss. I then proceeded to dig up the part of the return line that runs under grass, and didn't find any real dampness, so I surmised that the leak must be under the concrete pool deck. I pulled all the plugs out and returned everything to "normal" and ran the filter pump all day while we used the pool and checked periodically for evidence of water leaking. It's not been 12 hours, and I don't see any drop in the water level at all. There were LOTS of bubbles from each outlet when I removed the plugs, and the water level has always been higher than this return line, so I feel that's a strong indication that all of the water that had been in that line leaked out over the past few days.

• There is no evidence of water leaking into the grass anywhere around the pool
  • The pump area is slightly downhill of the pool, and everything in that are is bone-dry
  • I have a security camera pointing at the pool, and it is pretty unlikely that anyone could be stealing the water, plus we've been home and watching the pool on a couple of the days with significant water loss

Any ideas? After multiple days with little to no water loss, I was pretty confident that the leak was in that return line I had plugged, but why wouldn't the water loss start back up again now that I've taken the plugs out?

Thanks,
-Chris

Welcome to TFP.

I find it hard to believe you never had to add water in your pool for the last 2 1/2 seasons. We have had periods of dry spells and evaporation.

Are you sure that the pool you inherited does not have an autofill that automatically adds water to offset evaporation? And now that autofill has broken?

Yes. I'm sure. The water level does drop with evaporation, but 2" over the span of a couple weeks of hot dry weather would be more typical, not 6" in a couple hours. In this area, that water loss is usually compensated for by the inevitable thunder storms that come when the heat breaks, and dump a bunch of rain in my pool. I have had to let water out to make the skimmers work more often than I have had to add water to keep them from sucking air.

I have winterized the pool myself twice and I know what connects to each line, where to blow it out, etc. There is a line that I believe was added for that purpose (since it goes to the pump area but doesn't connect to anything). That line only has a hose bib on it. I have also re-plumbed all of the external water connections in my house for a second meter (which doesn't get charged for sewerage) and so I'm familiar with all of the plumbing in the basement. The water usage also doesn't reflect this.

The water level also dropped too dramatically - even with 2 hoses running at full bore, it took almost 4 hours to bring the water level back up. If I was adding that much water to the pool on a daily basis my water bills would have been astronomical (not to mention the constant sound of water rushing through the pipes).

I wish it were something that simple :cool:

Tell us the details of your pool equipment and out it in your signature. It will help all those who join in this mystery hunt.

What type of filter do you have? Do you have a MPV that could drain to waste? Could it be leaking? That is an example of why it is helpful to understand your pool equipment.

Allen,
Apologies, I updated my signature. The only places water can exit by design are 3 hose bibs (1 on the pressure side of each pump, and 1 on the random spare pipe I suspect was added in case someone wanted to add an auto-fill down the road). Theses are all in the filter area, which is completely dry.

Thanks,
-Chris

Post pics of your equipment pad. I wonder how difficult it would be to pressure test your return and suction pipes?

Please ignore all the weeds...

Attachments

• 20190812_082239.jpg
    20190812_082239.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190812_082256.jpg
    20190812_082256.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190812_082305.jpg
    20190812_082305.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190812_082317.jpg
    20190812_082317.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190812_082349.jpg
    20190812_082349.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190812_082359.jpg
    20190812_082359.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190812_082453.jpg
    20190812_082453.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 6
Making me even more confused, for 3 days now everything has been unplugged (running normally), and we've lost less than an inch of water.

Could this possibly be a hydrostatic relief valve leaking? I'm not sure if I have one, but I'm going to try to dig up the original pool plans and see if it's specified.

With Jandy valves at each of your pipes I think your pipes can be pressure tested pretty easily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.