Intermittent Spa Side Issue

Kit

Bronze Supporter
Mar 10, 2016
Medford, Oregon
I have a Spa Side (IS4) connected to an EasyTouch control panel. Today I noticed that all 4 buttons on the Spa Side would not work. On the control panel (Settings>Spa Side) I toggled the Spa Side to OFF; waited for a few minutes; then turned it back to ON. All of the buttons on the Spa Side started working again.

Any thoughts as to what might be the issue would really be appreciated. Thank you so much.

As a side thought, this might be somewhat relevant.....a couple of months ago I had the same issue with the Spa Side. However, at that time I noticed that the Spa Side setting on the EasyTouch apparently turned itself off. Switching it to the ON position resolved the issue.

Kit

Kit,

I assume we are talking about the wired 4 buttons remotes.

If so, I do not believe that they can be opened. But that does not mean you can't cut it open.

I really doubt the buttons can be cleaned but you might be able to replace them. Keep in mind they are momentary switches. You push it and it closed and you let up and it opens.

Let's see what Tom has to say. Calling @ogdento.

Here is the schematic..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I cut/pried one of these apart once and nearly lost a finger in the process. So while it is possible to get it open, you're not going to be able to clean the switches. I can't remember what type of switches they were, but you might be able to desolder and replace them. If you don't want to pay the ridiculous cost of a replacement unit and then have to re-run the wire (it's attached to the unit), you could build your own using Jim's schematic.

I'm a bit disappointed that the unit cannot be disassembled & cleaned. So it looks like the 2 alternatives are to either purchase a new unit or to build my own using Jim's schematic.

Jim: Although the idea of building my own remote is appealing, I would be somewhat at a loss as to how to actually construct it. You wouldn't happen to have any photos or detailed explanation of the DIY remote?

Thank you, guys.

Kit

One question that I forgot a ask.....it seems odd that corrosion would cause all 4 buttons on the remote to either not work or to work perfectly (after the Spa Side is power-cycled at the EasyTouch control panel). Is there some sort of sensor on the control panel that detects a fault due to corrosion & disables the Spa Side entirely? Thanks.

Kit

Kit,

Sorry no, I do not have an integrated spa or a spa side remote.

Do you have ScreenLogic? If so, you could use an old smart phone to control things.

I don't know for sure that your Spa side remote is bad, it is just a very common problem for them to fail. Most of the time the failure is unwanted or intermittent commands coming from the iS4.

You can enable or disable the spa side remote by using the menu on the EasyTouch. Menu, Setting, Spa side remote..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim. No worries. Yes, the problem does seems to be intermittent. I was a bit incorrect when I said that "power-cycling" seemed to restore the functioning of the Spa Side. Actually, I disabled & then enabled the unit in the Settings menu on the EasyTouch.

One of the firmware releases for the Intellitouch (1.110, July 2008) had this entry in the release notes:

Improved/Fixed issues with false errors on sensors and iS4 units. This presented as false sensor errors on some MobileTouch units, and in some cases caused false iS4 errors to be displayed and disable the Spa Side unit.

That leads me to believe that the firmware does disable the is4 if it thinks it's messed up (i.e. noisy contacts or frequent/constant/partial switch closures etc.) They've likely got similar logic in the Easytouch firmware... which would explain why you had to manually re-enable it.

I'd test your switch with an ohm-meter (you'll probably need a partner to press the buttons for you), and if you find a bad button you can just disconnect it from the 6-position terminal block.

As far as photos of the diy remote goes... I don't know if any exist. I bet somebody's built their own but I've never seen one on tfp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, Jim. No worries. Yes, the problem does seems to be intermittent. I was a bit incorrect when I said that "power-cycling" seemed to restore the functioning of the Spa Side. Actually, I disabled & then enabled the unit in the Settings menu on the EasyTouch.
Thank you, Ogdento. I have not gotten any error messages per se. But it certainly would be worth checking each of the 4 buttons with an ohmmeter. Two somewhat naive questions (since electrical issue diagnoses are not my strong suit): (1) Is there a specific ohm reading for each of the 4 buttons? and (2) How should the ohmmeter be connected when checking the resistance of each of the buttons?

Thank you for passing on the additional information to me. Much appreciated.

Kit,

Go back and look at the schematic...

Put one lead on the black wire and the other lead on 1Red wire. The ohm meter should read an open (more than 100K ohms).. Push and hold button S1 and the meter should read pretty close to zero ohms. Let go of the button and the meter should read an open again.

Do the same test with the other buttons using the yel, green, and blue wires..

Obviously, you do the test with iS4 connector removed from the Automation.

If that does not make sense, let me know and I'll try again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.