Intermittant shock when touching Intermatic timer or water in the pump basket

Split from Electrical shock at pump skimmer basket with Superflo VS new install Zea3

PoolEinstein, did you ever figure out what the issue was? I am having the same exact issue, similar set up without the SPD. Electrical shock intermittently when I touch the water in the pump basket unless I turn off power using the manual switch on the Intermatic box (timer function disabled). No electrical shock in the pool.

Re: Electrical shock at pump skimmer basket with Superflo VS new install

PoolEinstein, did you ever figure out what the issue was? I am having the same exact issue, similar set up without the SPD. Electrical shock intermittently when I touch the water in the pump basket unless I turn off power using the manual switch on the Intermatic box (timer function disabled). No electrical shock in the pool.

Pardon my intrusion, but I think it's pretty obvious the OP miswired his PS3000. Not sure if you have the same model but I would assume, all SPD's are wired the same way as shown in the below pic. They're just a bunch of MOV's. Hope this helps! Other than that, call in an electrician.

Re: Electrical shock at pump skimmer basket with Superflo VS new install

I don't have an SPD. Power from the breaker goes into the Intermatic timer, then the pump. The charge can be felt on the manual on/off switch on the timer and in the pump basket water. Its intermittent, why would that be?

In that case, you will need a well competent electrician or escalate to the city electrical inspectors. Also, you may want to use the search box and type "bonding" or "electric shock". Either will redirect you to posts from various TFP members who had similar issues in the past.

Here's one old thread to begin with -->https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/76476-A-slight-quot-shock-quot

- - - Updated - - -

duplicate post deleted

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.