Intermatic Timer

bill2

Apr 5, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Hello,

After Irma, I can only manually turn the pool pump on and off. It appears the dial is not moving but I do hear the normal ticking sound. Would the ticking mean the motor is actually good and something else mechanical is going wrong? I removed the dial and put it back on. My spring is a little rusty and loose but that's all I notice.

Is there a procedure to test the motor?

Thanks

There is a small port above the time dial to look into the gear train to see if its moving - it should have something like VISUAL MOTOR CHECK stamped into the metal. It's its moving, then the motor works.

I had one that would turn (motor worked), but didn't have enough power to kick the switch over. I had to replace it.

There is a small port above the time dial to look into the gear train to see if its moving - it should have something like VISUAL MOTOR CHECK stamped into the metal. It's its moving, then the motor works.

I had one that would turn (motor worked), but didn't have enough power to kick the switch over. I had to replace it.

Thanks. I did not even notice that. No gears are turning. I guess that faint clicking noise is some other part of the system that is still running.

I'll see if Pinch-a-penny has a new motor for a reasonable price.

Thanks again

My particular enclosure doesn't allow for the timing mechanism to just tip out from the top. There are tabs holding the bottom of the mechanism and literally a 1/2" of space near the top. Sliding up and out doesn't seem to work. I ended up cracking the plastic tabs but I have a new enclosure ready to be installed since mine no longer closes on its own. I will finally do that replacement.

In case someone ends up searching this thread, these are the URLs I was using for some of the finer details: How to troubleshoot Intermatic timer and replace Intermatic clock motor and How to replace Intermatic clock motor:

Since my entire mechanism is a rusted mess with water intrusion, I will replace the whole thing. Amazon is $25 for the motor vs. $50 to replace the whole thing. My ground wire is corroded badly too and probably needs replacement. The shielding on the other wiring is coming apart and something I will revisit once this old pump breaks down.

I assume the 104P sticker inside my enclosure just means the box is plastic and I can buy 104M to replace the mechanism.

PS - I tried to add more pictures but got a quota error.

2017-09-15 15.39.13.jpg

I have a similar Intermatic timer. Although the gears were turning, one of the gears was actually broken in half. I bought a new motor on Amazon, for about $20. I took lots of pictures of the unit and all the wiring before I took it apart. I also had my husband help me by holding the unit while I worked on it because if any parts fell, they would have landed between the slats on our deck. I also found a pretty good youtube video that helped.

This is the motor I got but you have to make sure it's the right one for your timer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GAV58K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oops, just saw your latest post. Good idea to just get a new unit. I have to admit changing the motor was a hassle.

I have a similar Intermatic timer. Although the gears were turning, one of the gears was actually broken in half. I bought a new motor on Amazon, for about $20. I took lots of pictures of the unit and all the wiring before I took it apart. I also had my husband help me by holding the unit while I worked on it because if any parts fell, they would have landed between the slats on our deck. I also found a pretty good youtube video that helped.

This is the motor I got but you have to make sure it's the right one for your timer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GAV58K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oops, just saw your latest post. Good idea to just get a new unit. I have to admit changing the motor was a hassle.

Good info. I guess after 20 years these things just start to fall apart. I am getting good longevity out of everything.

I will figure out what is wrong with the old one out of curiosity once I remove all the wiring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.