Intermatic T101 not keeping proper time

z33tec

Jul 7, 2016
NY
So when I went to open my pool, I went downstairs and went to make sure the power was on. I noticed that the little on/off triggers were loose and janky looking. I am thinking that the on/off triggers got loose at some point over the winter and bound up the timer dial, possibly stripping the gears on the timer. This is a just guess, but either way, here's the issue....

The timer is not keeping proper time now. It moves, but it ends up being hours behind when I go back and check it later. This sounds like the gears are stripper or something, based on what I've read.

My main question... is it really worth replacing the gear drive if these things are only like 40 bucks on amazon and I can get a new one in 2 days? Unless the gears are like 5 bucks, I assume not.

My OTHER question is.... I hate having to run down to the basement and turn on the pump if it's not during a time that I have it scheduled for. Are there any wifi enabled timers I could upgrade to where I could turn the pump on from my phone or something? Maybe I'm being lazy and asking for too much here... :scratch:

Thanks!

As for replace or repair the timer I say just replace it they aren't that expensive.

I don't know if there is a wifi enabled intermatic timer. There are a couple of ways you could build one depending on how electrically savy you are. There are also wifi based pool automation panels but that route gets very expensive quickly.

There are several inexpensive WiFi time switches out there, the problem is they're not rated for a motor that big. About the max motor rating on one is 1/2hp. They also make high rated remote controlled timers, but they're pretty expensive.

You could get a WiFi switch and relay and wire the switch to control the relay and wire that parallel to the timer and it would allow you to remotely run the pump outside the timed cycle.

You can get a wifi enable sprinkler timer (with phone app) for about 80 bucks and a 40 amp dual poll motor contactor for 11 bucks. Again that really depends on your skill level with wiring.

My electrical skill level is... non-existing aside from changing out outlets and such. Looks like I'll just pick up a replacement unit and swap out the internal unit so I don't have to replacement box itself.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.