Interesting numbers...

May 12, 2017
Temecula, CA
Backstory...newbie with super high CYA, around 290 according to Pool Store, which had to be correct since I drained about 75% of pool and CYA tested with my K-2006 was still 85 to 90.

So here were the numbers after adding chlorine and trying to do an OCLT

Pre OCLT, after sundown...pool pump on all night
FC 18
CC 0

Pre sun-up
FC 13
CC 0

So, I failed the OCLT.

Didnt add chlorine again as I figured I might as well drain more before starting SLAM. by the way...water looks great...

So for the heck of it, I tested yesterday again at sundown,

FC 8.5
CC 0

So, like Richard said, I would lose and in fact did, about 4.5 ppm of chlorine thru the day. Pool is in full sun all day.

Tested this am, before sun up,

FC 8.5
CC 0

So, my question is DID I PASS OCLT without really trying???!!! Thank in advance as always!!

That is a lot of chlorine loss overnight. Assuming testing accuracy, I'd say you have something waiting to bloom in the pool. You say water looks great. Why were you at SLAM ? By great does that mean you can call heads or tails in 6+ feet of water on a quarter?

That is a lot of chlorine loss overnight.Yes, first night, big loss, 2nd night nothing.Assuming testing accuracy, I'd say you have something waiting to bloom in the pool. You say water looks great. Perfect, clearWhy were you at SLAM ? Because I didnt pass OCLT By great does that mean you can call heads or tails in 6+ feet of water on a quarter? Yes, and year minted too! :)
Thanks Aimee!!!!

A typical "wind down" of chlorine loss might go...

4.5 loss 1st night

2.5 ppm loss second night

1 ppm loss third night.

So your loss stopped pretty dramatically. As Richard320 iondicated, I thik doing the OCLT again tonight would confirm that you passed.
......and as Aimee asks, "is your water sparkling?"

It sounds like you passed. If you did, you'll pass again tonight. Then you'll know for sure.
Thanks Richard!!! I was hoping you would say that as it is supposed to be a super hot weekend and kids want to swim!!

- - - Updated - - -

A typical "wind down" of chlorine loss might go...

4.5 loss 1st night

2.5 ppm loss second night

1 ppm loss third night.

So your loss stopped pretty dramatically. As Richard320 iondicated, I thik doing the OCLT again tonight would confirm that you passed.
......and as Aimee asks, "is your water sparkling?"
Thanks Dave! Yes, I will do again tonight...water is and has been crystal clear...thanks to TFP!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I misread the OP. Humble apologies. I read the first OCLT results with a loss of 5. Not sure what I was thinking :hammer:
No problem! I so appreciate you responding!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.