Intellitouch can't activate circuits via automation

rstahl

Jul 11, 2020
Raleigh, NC
Hi all,

I attempted to install the comm expansion board for the Pentair Intellitouch, but upon powering everything back up I now can't activate any circuits via the screenlogic2 app. Here's what I'm seeing:

1) The pumps show "display not active" which would seem to indicate communication to the pumps is working.

2) The protocol adapter seems to work--I can see schedules, modify schedules, see outdoor temp. etc. I just can't activate a circuit, not even lights. For example, if I try to active the "Pool" circuit via the app, the button will only light if I touch it twice; but then turn off after a few seconds ostensibly indicating that the circuit did not activate.

3) At the Intellitouch panel, the "Auto" light is on, but the "Pool" light is also on, even though nothing is running. I don't recall this being normal. I hope this isn't an indication of a fried board. :-(

Note, I disconnected the comm expansion board and returned all the wires to their original setup--but still no joy.

I'd appreciate any other troubleshooting help. I may try disconnecting all the valve actuator connectors from the board. I've read on this forum that that may help in troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Richard
rstahl

Last edited:
Another bit of information:

1) Schedules seem to work. The pump automatically came on at the right speed per the schedule. However, I am unable to change the pump speed via Screenlogic2.

2) The ScreenLogic2 app sees that circuits are active, but I still can't activate anything via the app.

It's weird that ScreenLogc2 seems to be able to display the current state of the Intellitouch, it just can't affect any change. I'm wondering if I blew the outbound part of a rs485 transceiver on the protocol adapter. The protocol adapter is connected directly to my Intellitouch but is powered from a separate supply. I may have forgotten to remove power from the protocol adapter when I was installing the expansion board and may shorted out the data lines?? I just hope its not a board problem in the Intellitouch.

Thanks.

Richard,

The display showing Auto and Pool (or Spa) is quite normal..

It sounds more like a ScreenLogic issue rather than a mother board issue, as the schedules are turning things on and off.

Is your Protocol Adapter hard wired or do you use the wireless links?

Let's see what Tom has to say... Calling @ogdento

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks very much for the response. My protocol adapter is hard wired, but I actually power it off a separate 15V supply, not the 15V on the COMM wire. I forgot to turn power off to the protocol adapter before tinkering with the wire connecting it to the Intellitouch. I'm wondering if I shorted something out on the protocol adapter. What's interesting is that I am able to view updated information coming from Intellitouch, e.g. air and water temp., currently active circuits, current pump speed, etc. However, it seems I am unable to send any commands to Intellitouch. I can't activate a circuit or view correct Intellichem data (my assumption is that ScreenLogic has to send an outbound query to the Intellichem to get updated data).

So my theory is that I damaged something on the outbound side of the protocol adapter's RS485 transceiver, but it's just a guess for now. I'm hoping it's not actually a component in the intellitouch. :) The fact that the pumps show "display not active" and that the Intellitouch is able to control speed would tend to rule out a COM issue on the Intellitouch, right? The control wires going to the pumps share the same COM bus with the protocol adapter and Intellichem.

Thanks again,

Richard

Last edited:
Hey guys, just so I'm clear... are you saying that if you turn on an aux circuit at the outdoor controller, you see it turn on in the SL app? And likewise if you change the time on the outdoor board?

If that's the case... and your protocol adapter is able to show data FROM the intellitouch (like clock/temp/aux status etc.) in the screen-logic app, but you can't send anything TO the intellitouch - and comms work for the pump - then it does sound like driver output (transmit) isn't working. The data lines are "differential", meaning both are required to receive or transmit... so a short to a data line usually blows the whole port (rx and tx dead) which makes it unable to transmit OR receive. But, looking at the data-sheet, it seems possible to blow just the driver output or enable (the comm port is 1/2 duplex so the two data lines are tied directly to both the driver output/receive input and enable pins).

Couple of ideas...
- If you've got a cheap rs485 to usb dongle you could "sniff" the protocol adapter and see if it's sending anything
- The comm chip is a MAX491CPD+ that's mounted on the board that sits atop the main board (a Rabbit 3000 board). If you're handy with soldering/desoldering you could give a swap a try, or you can pm me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.