Intellitouch and VFD Issue. I'm Stumped.

Oct 13, 2017
Henderson, Nevada
I have an I5 intellitouch system, intellichem, spa side remote and new Pentair Intelliflo VSF drive. This is the picture I get on screen logic when I connect the drive. Unplug the drive and it's fine. I thought a comm issue but then screen logic and the intellichem wouldn't work. This make no sense to me.

Intellitouch screen.PNG

Anyone have any idea what the issue is ?

Attachments

• Intellitouch screen.PNG
    Intellitouch screen.PNG
    39.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
T,

That is the message you get when the comm is not working.. If ScreenLogic works when the pump is not connected, and does not work when the pump is connected, it sounds like the pump is loading down the comm port or it is wired wrong..

Show us a pic of where the pump is wired into the comm port.

Thanks,

Jim R.

T,

No Pic...

You can connect everything together into the same Comm port.. Just wire nut things together and then connect that "bundle" into the comm port.

What I would do is connect just the EasyTouch to the protocol adapter.. See if ScreenLogic works.. If it does, then connect the pump and see if it works, etc for each item that goes on the buss.

Are you using the ScreenLogic wireless links, or just a cable, to connect the ET to the protocol adapter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry here is the the PIC. I am currently wired to the system comm using a protocol adapter, wired to my network. With just this, the comm works fine. Nothing else is currently connected. Connect the drive and I basically get a comm fail.

Attachments

• 20200413_184507.jpg
    20200413_184507.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200413_184507.jpg
    20200413_184507.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 8
Assuming the serial cable and connector on the pump itself is clean/dry/not damaged etc....

if you connect ONLY the pump to the comm port, can the intellitouch control it? (i.e. do you see the "display not active" on the pump display) If you don't see that, then I'm betting the rs485 chip inside your pump is fried... it's probably repairable, but you might also be able to get away with buying a new keypad.

IMPORTANT: whenever you're messing with comm wires make sure the power to the panel and pump is off! if you short the green/yellow data wires to power/ground you will blow up the comm port(s) on your equipment

Terry,

If the pump does not say "Display not Active" it means the pump is not being controlled by the ET...

Since when you connect the pump to the comm port, the comm port "dies".. The pump is bad, Could be the cable, but I doubt it.

Sorry,

Jim R.

Terry,

You have two IntelliFlo pumps and neither one of them works??? Are you using the same cable for each one or different cables?

Just to make sure.. If you have ScreenLogic connected, but not the pump, can you do things like turn on the pool lights, and other none pump related things??? Yes??

If ScreenLogic works to control things, that means the main board's comm port works..

Does the pump actually run in the standalone mode? I believe that the display only needs 120 volts to light up.. So make sure the pump actually runs.. Could be you lost either L1 or L2..

Tell us the whole story..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am telling the whole story. I'm an electrical contractor with many years of controls experience. I can program VFD/ PLC's all day long. I understand RS 485 control along with Ethernet and RS 232. What I do not have is very much pool and Pentair experience. I started with a working system. Intellitouch I5+3, spa side remote, intellichem and intelliflo, all were working. Then the other day I began to have comm issues. I only use my laptop and screen logic to access/program the system. I troubleshot the system to the spa side remote failing. Once I removed that from the control circuit, my intellichem came back and I could again get access from my laptop. Bring in the pump and it all fails. Goes to the screen shot I uploaded in my first message. Called and talked to Pentair tech support and they say the same thing. If I can get on with my laptop the comm is working, I agree. Must be a failed VFD dead 485 comm on the VFD. I've seen it a dozen times on Allan Bradley VFD's. So I get a new pump/VFD should be a simple change out. Nope same dam problem. New VFD, new wiring that came with the VFD. Only thing left is the controller board.

The new and old pump run fine in manual mode.

When you connect only the pump to the comm port, does resetting the pump and then the outdoor board - or vice versa - do anything? I know I have to reset my devices in a particular order to get them to talk to each other, and I just read this post about that same problem:

Hail Mary if the above doesn't help... it looks like your mainboard was manufactured in 2017, so it's probably a revision C or D - those have two rs485 drivers on them (u4 and u16), but they're both tied together at the comm port (the older rev B boards only have u4, and i don't know why pentair added the second driver). anyway, my point is i don't see how it could be the outdoor board - you could pull u16 and see if starts working? You could also test/replace the protection diodes going to the rs485 chip on the keypad, or maybe the chip itself.

You are correct. 2017 board Rev D. there really are only two components there. The board, and the drive. The drive is new today. I have no other option but to replace or upgrade the board. I'm thinking if I have to spend money may as well get the intelli center modular.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.