IntellipH control panel and ic40 not communicating?

Got a few updates with @oakwater's iph board... it doesn't work (yet), but I got it to power up without making any more smoke!
IMG_20220419_200603427.jpg

The relay coil won't operate the device and half of the contacts are toast (the rs485 "A" input is open while the "B" input is closed) so I pulled it to get a better look at the board and work up a schematic...
IMG_20220419_194727286 - Copy.jpg

The B input to the 485 chip (TI SN65HVD485E) and D3 were both blown "short" (i.e. shorted to ground) so I removed D3, pulled up pin 7 on the 485 chip, and scraped off a bunch of the carbon deposits (it's conductive!!) in order to get the thing to boot and not draw a ton of current. The B input was connected to the burned protection device (D3) and the burned traces you see in the photo.

Oh, and here's the burned ground pin... I snipped it and pulled it out of the connector.
IMG_20220419_191739820.jpg

Clearly a lot of energy went through the pin and those traces, but I'm not sure what caused it. It seems more like a surge or lightning strike than the salt cell drawing too much... I don't see how else the B input would blow up?? I'll replace the comm chip and relay and see if they operate or if there's more damage.

Excellent report! Good work. My recollection is that one of the boards you're getting was subjected to lightning strike. I'll see if I can find that post...

hey @Dirk, I just re-read some of the other thread and it sounds like it was the surge that happened in Vegas on 3/25.

I wonder if we should move further discussion to that newer thread... we're duplicating lots of info here, and Oakwater's damage looks uncannily similar to Latitude's - but different from the over-current issues folks have experienced (they've got the same burned ground pin, blown comm relay, comm chip & protection).

I admit, I'm getting a bit confused with all of these occurrences and threads. All this really should be in one thread, sort of a "one-stop reference" for the various symptoms and fixes and theories. We'd need @Newdude or @Jimrahbe to coral all of the posts together into one thread, then organize them in some meaningful way. Jim, would that be worth the effort?

Or we could continue as is and then someone could formulate an article from all the various posts, cherry-picking the useful info and pics.

Here it is. You're remembering correctly. He called it a "surge," not lightning. I don't think he explained what caused the surge.

@Latitude22, can you elaborate?
Here it is. You're remembering correctly. He called it a "surge," not lightning. I don't think he explained what caused the surge.

@Latitude22, can you elaborate?
I don’t know what caused it, they arent uncommon here. We had a city wide surge 3/25. Our power went out for close to 2 hours. Cox had cable internet down all over town. Seems to happen a lot during the summer and when it first heats up.

edit add article:

edit, it was “‘backhoe made contact with a transmission line this morning and customers may have experienced a momentary power event.’

we don’t get a lot of lightning or rain, but of course I don’t really know what caused it, I’m only guessing.

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.