IntelliFloXF VSF Pump - Incorrect Flow Reading after Restart

tyoung5ND

Gold Supporter
Dec 5, 2020
Austin, TX
I have a Pentair IntelliFloXF VSF Pump (022056) that was installed about 4 months back for a new pool build. Since start up, I have always used the flow reading and found it to be accurate. Today, I decided to clean the pump's filter basket by flipping the breaker, cleaning the basket, and turning it back on. After turning the pump back on, it always primes itself at max RPM and then drops back to normal rates. After doing so today, the flow rate is now way off. Despite having the pump set to 40 GPM, the RPM and Watt readings are both low. Also, the flow warning for my SWC was blinking letting me know it wasn't receiving enough flow.

I've mitigated the issue by manually setting an RPM instead of a flow. Could an air bubble or something else in the pump be causing the flow reading to be off?

Reactions: mas985
I don’t have an idea about your flow problem but wonder why you are using the CB to turn your pump off instead of putting the IntelliCenter in SERVICE mode to stop the pump.

CBs are not designed to be used as switches and constantly flipping them can wear them out and cause nuisance trips.

That's a good point Allen. My PB recommended switching off the CB to ensure pump doesn't kick on. I don't do it often, maybe once or twice a month, but that's a good point that it is unnecessary wear and tear.

After the pump primed, did the pump basket completely fill with water?
Yes it did.

Since my original post, I opened the pump basket again and let the pump prime itself. I would say the flow readings are better now, but still off from before. After reading some other posts, it sounds like the flow reading on these pumps aren't all that accurate.

Setting my RPMs to 1450, the pump claims it is 40 GPM and using 237 Watts. Last week, setting my flow to 40 GPM used over 400 Watts.

While the internal flow display may not be accurate, the more concerning measurements are the pump pressure at the drain plug compared to the pressure at the filter. That should only be a few PSI difference for normal operation.

Ignore my last post. I thought I was responding to a different XF thread. Sorry about that.

On to your issue.

With a VF pump, the RPM and Watts will change with changing plumbing. So when you clean out the filter basket, filter or even change valve settings, these values will also change and can change by quite a bit.

One thing to keep an eye on is the change in filter pressure and the change in pump pressure (via display). These two things can help determine what has changed. So it is important to get a baseline reading with all filters cleaned so you have something to compare to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.