Intelliflo3 stand alone automation (sort of)

Jm13004

Gold Supporter
Jun 27, 2015
Florida Keys
Getting ready to start my inground concrete pool . Thanks in advance to all the folks on this forum that share their knowledge on a wide array of pool topics.....really appreciated. I'm trying to decide on equipment configuration now ( No spa or heater so I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. Pool is 10 x20 rectangle shape 3.5'-5' (approx. 5500 gallons). Pool will have 3 returns, 1 skimmer, and 4 "therapy" jets on a deep end bench. I will switch between returns/ therapy jets when using pool via Jandy valve.

Equipment: Intelliflo3 w/ control panel and IO board (011078), Intellichlor 20, Pentair CCP320, 2 microbrites (white) and an Intermatic 4000 to house breakers, house 300watt transformer, pool switch, and gfci receptacle.

My plan is to use the Pentair Home App to control:
Pump run times and rpm speeds (probably going to run it 24hrs)
Use relay 1 to turn Intellichlor on/off via Home App. If I'm understanding it correctly, the 485 cable will prevent the intelliclor from turning on if pump is not flowing thus eliminating the need for a time clock. Once I dial in my chlorine demand I shouldn't have to adjust % output very often (correct?)
Use relay 2 to turn pool lights on / off via Home App.....I need to find out if I can use regular switch as well or if everything has to go though Home App.

There are not many threads (that I could find) discussing the use of the Intelliflo3 relays but I think it's a great feature ( If I'm understanding it correctly). I was going to purchase the Intelliconnect but don't think I really need now. Any feedback is appreciated.

Jm,

I am not sure that you don't know more about the IntelliFlo3 than I do... :mrgreen:

But I don't 'think' that your IC20 will be controlled over the RS-485 bus.. What I think will happen is that you will wire the AC power to the IC20's Power Center through a relay in the IntelliFlo3. You will designate the relay to be controlled by flow.. So, the pump will not close the relay, unless it is running above a set speed. That is my understanding of how it work..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. My understanding was that the power unit was to step down power for the Intellichlor. The RS-485 com cable was to prevent the SWG from turning on without flow like you pointed out. I thought the relay (15A) could be used like a control switch for power to the Intellichlor SWG. I believe the manual used that as an example (I may be wrong) . I assumed the relay (switch) could be programmed (on/off only) in the Pentair App. on a time schedule of my choosing.

I may be totally wrong though ......I've never even used the app. Guess I need to call Pentair. I may be going back to the Intelliconnect if that's the case.

Jm,

I see no reason to go back to the IntelliConnect...

The IntelliConnect sets the output of the SWCG to zero if the pump is not running using the RS-485 com port... As far as I know it is the only Pentair automation systems that does that.. All the other systems are designed so that when the pump is not running the AC power is removed from the SWCG's Power Center. You would use one of the two relays in the IntelliFlo3 to control the power to the Power Center. These relays are configurable. You would configure the relay so the it would only come on when the pump is running.. The whole idea being that if the pump is not running, the power to the cell is cut off... This keeps the cell from blowing up.. :mrgreen:

Normally, you do not turn the cell on and off on a schedule.. The cell will run anytime the pump is running and you just adjust the cell's output to what you want.

I don't believe that the IntelliFlo3's app will control your cell's output. I do not know that for a fact, so if you call Pentair, please let us know the answer..

I see no reason not to use the IntelliFlo3.. It sounds like it would work ok to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, I just wanted to provide some follow up after talking to the tech at Pentair (super knowledgable)and reviewing the Pentair Home App manual (page 5). Relay 1 (5 amp) can be turned on or off any time you like via a time schedule program in Home App. When you create programs you toggle whether relay 1 or relay 2 will be flow dependent. It's basically 2 programmable switches controlled within Home App thru your pump. In my case, relay 1 will not be flow dependent since I'm controlling the light schedule. Relay 2 (Intellichlor) will always be flow dependent when that relay is toggled in a program. Like I stated, I don't think I'll be adjusting the percentage very often once it's dialed in ( my weather is pretty even throughout the year) so the on/off function should serve my purpose (?). I'll probably run the SWG the entire time the pump is on but I'm only 5500 gallons so If I want to run it less, I have that option (?). There is NO requirement for the RS-485 cable with the SWG relay because the Home App will recognize flow for that relay when you toggle "Flow Dependent"in the program. This should be a good solution for me. Hope I explained that correctly LOL.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.