Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I have a 2 speed Pentair pump, replaced motor 6 years ago. Thinking of upgrading to VS. Is the Intelliflo worth the extra cost? 15k pool with 2" plumbing. I currently run on high speed for 2 hours with Stenner pump running for chlorine, and 10 hrs on low.

If you have or want automation then the intelliflo is a good choice.

If you have a simple system and no automation other than simple timers the superflo is the way to go.

Have 2 manual timers. One runs low, one runs high and Stenner. Is that automation? I could see one running a programmed Superflow, and the other running the Stenner. Current 2 speed is 1hp/⅛hp. Intelliflo seems a bit of overkill.

tc,

There is no such thing as "overkill" when dealing with a VS pump. Big is almost always better as the larger the pump the more water it can move at lower RPM.. The lower the RPM, the quieter the pump.. The lower the RPM, the less it costs to run.

No VS pumps that I know of use timers of any kind... They have internal time clocks that control the pumps...

Jim R.

tc,

I see you currently have a 2-speed pump.. A 2-speed pump works great.. much better than a single speed pump. VS pumps are really designed for pools that require variable amounts of flow because of various water features..

If you run your 2-speed on low most of the time, then a VS pump will not really save you a whole lot of money..

Why do you want a VS pump??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just want to be ready for when this one dies. I will likely stick with 2 speed in that case. Really need to add unions too. Costs of motor is almost as much as buying the motor and pump, so figured I'd add unions and start all new.

The VS pump provides many more run speeds and timing options.
You can dial in specific speeds that adjust automatically for the most efficient and effective pool operation.
My pool system is very basic now and needs only skimming and chemical mixing and yet I have found specific speeds and run times that are ideal and most economical. These paramaters also change throughout the season so the programming options are important to me. The SuperFlo VS is 1.5 hp and replaced a single speed 2 hp WisperFlo. I never run my new VS pump at maximum speed now and can already tell the power saving are significant. My opinion get a VS pump.

Reactions: Plankton and tcat
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.