Lehigh Valley, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Upgraded entire equipment set to Pentair - overall very happy and will post pics once its cleaned up. Wired properly - one key is to ensure the SWG is powered ONLY when pump relay is engaged.
So odd behavior yesterday - I was running filter overnight to get good cleaning and came out in morning the pump was running. I stopped it and was trying to change speed from Intellicenter but it would not change. I put in Service Mode and stopped pump. Then changed pump speed at pump with no problems. Put back into automatic mode but was unable to start pump; however, the Intellicenter was still showing pump as running at 2400 RPM even tho the pump was not running. Also the pump relay was enabled and the Intellichlor was powered. NOT GOOD!

So I cycled power a few times and no change. Then I disconnected comm cable at pump and reconnected. Cycled power and then things worked.

Also I noticed I am able to manually turn on power to Intellichlor without the pump running - using a "Pool/SWG" AUX Circuit which turns on the relay.

So my questions:
1) Should this be possible to have SWG powered without pump running? Or does the Intellicenter prevent this from occuring?
2) Is there a "pump running" electrical signal (contact) that I can use to tied back into the pump/SWG circuit to only allow SWG power when pump running? I am in manufacturing automation and this would be best practice for sure - as comms may not be reliable.

Wiring all seems good - thanks - Jason

M,

The Pump/Filter relay will close any time the pump "should" be running.. The automation does not know if the pump is running or not, it just assumes if the pump should be running, that it is.

Keep in mind that if you manually turn on/off a circuit that is "scheduled", you can cause the system to get confused and skip the next on/off period.

I don't understand why you have an Aux circuit involved with turning your SWCG on/off.. That makes no sense to me... :scratch:

Show us a pic of your wiring...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have wired per manual - line of SWG transformer to load of pump breaker (ten other the relay). So relay would have no voltage when pump breaker off. But to your point the IC doesn’t know its running just that it is commanding it to run over network.

I have four AUX circuits (Pump, Pool Light, Post Light, Equip Pad Light).

The Pump AUX is there by default as it’s dedicated. I can’t change it only rename it.

So I then created some Pump Circuits with different RPM and tied to a Feature Circuit.

I just resorted to favors default and see this on pool page. If I hit it it turns on SWG (via pool aux relay).

M,

I think I understand.. You have a Pump/Filter relay and three Aux circuits.. Aux 1, Aux 2, and Aux 3..

You have the SWCG's transformer wired to the load side of the Pump/Filter relay.. (Which is correct)

This means that if you manually turn on the Pump/Filter relay (F) then the relay will close and the SWCG will get power, no matter if the pump is running or not.. But... there is almost never a reason to push the Pump/Filter (F) button when you have a VS pump.. It does not really accomplish anything, since the pump is not connected to the relay.

Also.. The pump filter relay will not close unless your are in the pool or spa mode..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes that makes sense. But the button being there should not be if it turns on SWG in my opinion. I cant find way to remove the button tho. Or at least a way to only have that turned on when pump is commanded to run. Ideally there would be a contact from pump in a perfect work - one of the signals in that wire would be nice that is normally closed so if something fails it kills power.

M,

We all wish for many things, but we all have to live with the way they are... :mrgreen:

Just don't push the button.. And even if you do, that is why the cell has two safety features.. One is the relay removing power when the pump is supposed to be off, and the other is the flow switch in the cell which keeps the cell from working.. It is unlikely that both would be bad at the same time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.