IntelliFlo Pump option on new build

Jasop3

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2019
Sacramento California
Hello all. I’m in the process of getting pool bids and have found this site tremendously helpful. Thank you all!

I’m wondering about the benefit of the IntelliFlo XF VSF vs the VSF. I already know that my Pool size will be approximately 21,500 gal and I would not need the high flow from the XF. However, when looking at the flow chart it would seem like I could operate at a much lower RPM. Am I missing something here?

Seemingly another benefit would with the Intellichlor IC 60. My plan to to operate at the minimum GPM 24/7.

Lastly, I am also getting a waterfall. Approximate spillover height of 5 ft. Would it be a good idea to have a separate pump with self contained plumbing? Or just operate of XF VSF?

Thanks,
Jason
ACA43707-ABB6-47EF-928F-7AF6244A90D7.jpeg2B21E9E9-0284-4DD2-877A-0FBE7D216396.jpeg

I think that the XF is a slightly better pump. I would choose it if the price difference is not huge.

What is the description of the waterfall? Is there a specific model number and what are the flow requirements?

I think that the XF is a slightly better pump. I would choose it if the price difference is not huge.

Thanks.

What is the description of the waterfall? Is there a specific model number and what are the flow requirements?

I do not have the answers to these. The waterfall has yet to be built. I guess I was asking a more general question. When getting quoted for a build most PB state that I need 2 pumps but it would seems the XF has plenty of flow to handle both.

I’m wondering about the benefit of the IntelliFlo XF VSF vs the VSF. I already know that my Pool size will be approximately 21,500 gal and I would not need the high flow from the XF. However, when looking at the flow chart it would seem like I could operate at a much lower RPM. Am I missing something here?
The performance difference between the two is almost inconsequential for normal pool operation. The XF is just a tiny bit more efficient at the same flow rate and the RPM is not that different for the same flow rate.

For typical 2" plumbing:

XF VSF: 3450 RPM, 101 GPM, 83.6' of head & 2837 Watts
XF VSF: 3382 RPM, 99 GPM, 80.4' of head & 2676 Watts
VSF: 3450 RPM, 99 GPM, 80.4' of head & 2776 Watts

The XF does perform better under very low head loss (i.e. large pipe) conditions for high flow rate applications so it can be used as a waterfall pump. But the plumbing needs to support that. Plus, the pump probably could not be used for another function while in waterfall mode. So I would use a dedicated WF pump.

Note if you go with one of these, make sure you run it in VS mode only. VF mode can cause issues with both solar and dirty filters not to mention higher energy use.

Last edited:
The performance difference between the two is almost inconsequential for normal pool operation. The XF is just a tiny bit more efficient at the same flow rate and the RPM is not that different for the same flow rate.

For typical 2" plumbing:

XF VSF: 3450 RPM, 101 GPM, 83.6' of head & 2837 Watts
XF VSF: 3382 RPM, 99 GPM, 80.4' of head & 2676 Watts
VSF: 3450 RPM, 99 GPM, 80.4' of head & 2776 Watts

The XF does perform better under very low head loss (i.e. large pipe) conditions for high flow rate applications so it can be used as a waterfall pump. But the plumbing needs to support that. Plus, the pump probably could not be used for another function while in waterfall mode. So I would use a dedicated WF pump.

Note if you go with one of these, make sure you run it in VS mode only. VF mode can cause issues with both solar and dirty filters not to mention higher energy use.

Thanks. So essentially if it’s a lot more expensive I’ll just go with the VSF.

In VF mode is it a pressure issue?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.