Intelliflo Pump not working, seems to be set to manual?

nsa

Aug 5, 2022
South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I noticed the pump wasn't working, despite the Pentair EasyTouch saying Auto, and the pump active on ScreenLogic. The display on the pump says Stopped (0 RPM), it used to say “DISPLAY NOT ACTIVE”. How do I set this back to auto / receive commands from the ScreenLogic panel?

n,

The first thing I would try is to reset the system by pushing the reset button on the EasyTouch's main panel. This is like rebooting your PC.

In theory, if you are in Auto, the display should read "Display not active" unless there is a problem with the RS-485 com port.

As a simple test. Use ScreenLogic and turn on a pool light. The light icon should turn green. Then go out and look at the actual light and confirm it is on. If it is on, turn the light off using the light button on the EasyTouch. Then confirm that the ScreenLogic light icon goes off. If this works, it proves that your RS-485 com port is working.

If the light works, I'd remove the RS-485 cable at the pump end and ensure both sides are clean with no corrosion.

Let us know what you find,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, I tried reset but the pump says STOPPED, instead of "Display not active". The pool lights work from the app, and when I check the pump status on the EasyTouch meni, it says NO COMMS. I pulled the RS-485, but I'll check it again. Thanks!

Now I see communication lost for the SWG in the app. Lights and water feature still working. The pool was only installed a month ago, one of the IntelliBrite lights died last week, now this. Is this frequency of problems expected from new pool installs, or am I just unlucky?

N,

Color changing LED lights have a lifespan of about 12 nanoseconds... :(

I have three pools that all have EasyTouch systems with IntelliFlo pumps and SWCGs. I have had them for a "total" of over 25 years and have had no IntelliFlo problems, lost two IC40's but that was expected as one was about 9 years old and the other was over 7 years old. They typically last 5 to 7 years.

My next-door neighbor took a direct lightning strike, and it blew his water heater apart and did a ton of damage to his house. I got what was left over. At the time I had ScreenLogic hardwired to my house network. Took out the main card in the EasyTouch, SWCG, Protocol Adapter, plus my modem, etc. Pentair came and fixed all of their stuff under warranty. That was about 5 years ago.

I am a pretty hard-core Pentair kind of guy... :mrgreen:

Since your pool is so new, I'd call your pool builder and have them come and fix it. They generally will have a Pentair come out.

Since the lights work, that tells me that the main card is ok.

I suspect a loose wire at the J20 (com port connection). You can check that by dropping the top door of the EasyTouch down. J20 will have a cable that goes to the Surge card on the back wall of the EasyTouch. This connects the com port connections on the surge card to the main card. (Only one com port, just different points you can connect to.)

Show us some pics of the back of the card.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well what do you know, it's now working. Not sure if it was just a connection issue, but nothing I could tell. I checked the SWG cable connection and it was very tight, in fact I was unable to loosen it but it started to rain pretty hard so I quickly snapped a photo of the surge card. In fact I can here thunder, so I think I'm staying indoors for the rest of the day now.
surge.png

N,

Color changing LED lights have a lifespan of about 12 nanoseconds... :(

I have three pools that all have EasyTouch systems with IntelliFlo pumps and SWCGs. I have had them for a "total" of over 25 years and have had no IntelliFlo problems, lost two IC40's but that was expected as one was about 9 years old and the other was over 7 years old. They typically last 5 to 7 years.

My next-door neighbor took a direct lightning strike, and it blew his water heater apart and did a ton of damage to his house. I got what was left over. At the time I had ScreenLogic hardwired to my house network. Took out the main card in the EasyTouch, SWCG, Protocol Adapter, plus my modem, etc. Pentair came and fixed all of their stuff under warranty. That was about 5 years ago.

I am a pretty hard-core Pentair kind of guy... :mrgreen:

Since your pool is so new, I'd call your pool builder and have them come and fix it. They generally will have a Pentair come out.

Since the lights work, that tells me that the main card is ok.

I suspect a loose wire at the J20 (com port connection). You can check that by dropping the top door of the EasyTouch down. J20 will have a cable that goes to the Surge card on the back wall of the EasyTouch. This connects the com port connections on the surge card to the main card. (Only one com port, just different points you can connect to.)

Show us some pics of the back of the card.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I wish I just had white LED lights, I didn't want color changing but the pool company included it and I couldn't be bothered to change it. I suspect standard white LEDs would have less issues.

n,

I see your pump is connected to the bottom connector on the surge card. The connector on the right is most likely going to your ScreenLogic antenna, and the connector on the left is the one that should connect back to the main card.

I'd want to make sure all those connections are tight. (I am taking about the small silver screws that pinch each wire..)

Glad it is working again, even if we don't know why. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

After completing all of the recommendations above and your pump continues to lose communication for no apparent reason, there’s a known issue that requires a firmware upgrade on your pump assuming it’s a Intelliflo VSF. Had mine fixed in March and haven’t had a problem since. Just something else to check.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.