Intelliflo Making Loud noise - 1st startup of the season - please take a listen to it!

Jun 10, 2012
Boston, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
All: I have a 3 year old intelliflo. I started it up for the first time since winter 3 days ago. It has a persistent "whine" - almost like the sound of a jet engine. Definitely much louder than last year. Pressure at the filter level seems fine (20/25) and the sound is the same no matter what valve configuration I set - though though the sound varies with pump speed. Any thoughts? Here is a link with sound

And yes, I see that the electric connection has come unsealed. Fixing that asap.

It seems to spin freely as far as I can tell. Is the only way to check on the bearings by pulling the motor and dissembling?
Yes, that's the only way. Lately, most pool repairmen just recommend replacing the motor because the stuff on the market today is not made as well as pumps used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: It was the front (wet-end) bearing. Completely fell apart once I removed the motor and split the case. Took me a bit to figure out how to extract the outer race from the hub (ended up welding a bead around the inside of the race and it contracted enough to knock it out). Replaced the bearings, cleaned up the housing with a wire brush on a drill and painted it with an almond color gloss Rustoleam. Looks pretty good and is running totally "whisper" quiet. Cost me $50 and a few hours of time (replaced all the seals and both bearings). Much better than $500 for a new motor! Feel free to hit me up with questions if you want to DIY your own.

Reactions: Dave_NJ
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.