Intellichlor salt chlorinator model IC40

Jun 17, 2016
Mesa/AZ
hi all, i have an intellchlor salt cell and the corresponding power center and everything is and has been working for 12 years. I want to know if i can remove (or maybe just disconnect) the intermatic wheel that powers this device and install a smart switch (pool lights are on smart switches too). I think it is 220 volts now as it appears to have 2 hot lines from dual pole breaker into the intermatic wheel. But I do have the PDF and it looks like there is a configuration for 110. Can i simply just hook up a 110v smart switch and turn on the cell like that? Would that work (assuming i moved the wires around in the power center?

thanks

Yes, the Intellichlor can be wired for 220 or 120V power.

The timer is there to ensure the SWG is only powered when your pump is running for safety. As long as you setup the smart switch the same way as the timer it should be fine as a replacement.

Whether a smarts witch will work in your setup depends on the smart switch you use and your electrical wiring.

those wheels are a awful, which is why I want the smart switch, so I can keep the cell in sync with the pump. Can I simply take the Intellichlor lid off (or base) and follow the instructions to make it 120v? (I think it is 220 now)is that it? I have the PDF of the wiring diagram.
thanks

those wheels are a awful, which is why I want the smart switch, so I can keep the cell in sync with the pump. Can I simply take the Intellichlor lid off (or base) and follow the instructions to make it 120v? (I think it is 220 now)is that it? I have the PDF of the wiring diagram.
thanks

Only you know if you have the capabilities to do that. It should be simple electrical work for someone comfortable working with electrical equipment. If you doubt your capabilities then get someone to help you.

fair point, let me rephrase: Do they all come with the ability to do 120 or 240, and who ever wires up your pool equipment when you get the pool gets to decide that for you? that's what it sounds like you are saying. is there a benefit of one voltage compared to the other?

thanks

All IntelliChlor power centers can run on 120 or 220V and it makes no difference to the operation of the cell. Either way the Power Center lowers the voltage to 24V-40V DC and sends it to the cell. So all you are doing is adjusting the power input on the transformer.

Last edited:
so everything worked as planned, was able to wire to 120 and hook up a smart switch. Now i can leave the cell in during the winter and just turn it off. And for added bonus stop using that intermatic wheel that is hard to dial in exact times.

thanks all for the help

Reactions: ajw22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.