intellichlor Power center light not powering IC40

Warzer

May 3, 2022
Austin, Tx, USA
I am attempting to troubleshoot my IC40 as it is not turning on no lights. I noticed in the power center box the led on the board is not lighting up.
I am trying to figure out how to use a voltmeter to test voltages in the power center but not finding good places to test with it in the box. Does anyone have examples or maybe screenshots on where I can test the AC and DC voltages while its in the small box? Or do I need to remove it from the box?

In the mean time I ordered some new fuses in case its that simple but i tested the fuse and it doesn't seem blown.

W,

Older Power Centers have a known problem with the fuse holders. You just need to test the AC input voltage to the SWCG transformer and make sure it is getting through the fuse and holder. They sell a replacement fuse holder.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,

Just being over careful to test the ac input do I need untwist the wire connect that connects those together or is there another point i can test at? Not much exposed copper for testing points. My test meter broke, will be a few days before I can try again.

Last edited:
@Jimrahbe
So i was able to test the volts finally. its getting 40V AC from the controller to the power center (yellow/white & blue/black wires).
The 2 red wires coming from transformer doesn't seem to have any Volts DC at all and noticed some chard plastic around the connectors.
So with that i think its the transformer but not sure if i am testing it right. one chard red was connected to the board the other to the fuse.

Does it sound like i need to replace the whole power center or is it more cost effective to replace transformer and board if they sell them separately?

W,

While anything is possible, I doubt it is the transformer.

The input voltage to the transformer (testing between the Yellow/Black wires and the Blue/White wires) should be 120 Volts AC NOT 40.

The two red wires from the Transformer should have about 30 Volts AC NOT DC.. The transformer just reduces the voltage from 120 VAC to about 30 Volts AC.

This 30 Volts AC goes into the Surge card (Power supply card) which changes the voltage from AC voltage into the DC voltage that the cell needs to run. You measure the DC voltage between the large Red and Black wires that are going to the cell itself. The DC voltage going to the cell will be about 30 to 40 Volts DC.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok so i was way off now that i check the voltmeter manual. its actually 240 all the way to the transformer. then its 0 out the 2 red wires. any thing special i need to test for 240-245 as i was not expecting that at all. its 240 from the breakers as well. To confirm i am plugin my tester leads into both red wires leaving the transformer? there is a green yellow that looks like ground as its screwed into the chassis. I live in the USA why would my pool be hook up as 240? its also 240 into the breaker box.(2 heavy duty wires)

W,

The Power Center can be wired to run off of 240 VAC or 120 VAC. It does not matter which is used.

If your testing is correct... 240 volts AC into the transformer and nothing out, then the transformer should be bad.

But... power transformers do not go bad very often, so I am worried..

In your post #4 you said you were testing between (yellow/white & blue/black wires). Can you double check the wire colors.

If the Power Center is wired for 240 volts, you should test between the Yellow and White wires.. and get 240 VAC. The blue and black wires should be connected together with a wire nut and don't connect to anything else. Is this how your system is wired???

If the Power Center is wired for 120 volts, your Yellow and Black wires should be connected to the Hot lead in, and the Blue and White wires should connected to the Neutral lead. Is this how your system is wired??

Thanks,

Jim R.

on my last few checks I did not test the blue/black one as that one just seems to terminate and goes to the transformer.
I took a pic to show how its setup and the 2 chard red wires. there are blue/black tied, yellow/black tied, and red/white tied. tested volts on y/b & r/w it showed 240v. I did not change these since it was last working.
those 2 reds in pic are the ones coming out of the transformer. only a red/black/green cables come from control box. Green is screwed into chassis. Also included pic of control box wiring.

Also wanted me mention I greatly Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Don

Attachments

• PowerCenter input wires.jpg
    PowerCenter input wires.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 9
  • chard wires.jpg
    chard wires.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 9
  • control box.jpg
    control box.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 8
W,

Well, the good news is that everything is wired for 240 and you measured 240 volts going into the transformer. :goodjob:

The bad news is the two burned red wires. I've never seen that before. The problem is that it could just be a bad transformer, but the wires being burnt could also mean that the surge card is bad and pulled too much current through the transformer.

It is most likely best to buy a whole new power center..

But, if you decide to do that, then you would have nothing to lose by cutting off the connectors on the two red wires, so that you could get back to clean wires and retest the transformer's output.

If the transformer is working, then I'd connect it back to the old surge card and see what happens.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wanted to let everyone know how it ended. replacing the ends didn't fix the issue. it seems the transformer died. So since i didn't know of the board was dead or not as well I just purchased a whole new power center and replaced it. (both parts at the time ended up being same price as a new unit). Installed it today and now its working again!!

Next up fixing a leak in one of my pumps that seems to be corroding the metal around the pump edges.

Thanks for all your help Jim R

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.