Intellichlor IC40 issue

PanchoButler

Aug 29, 2019
Katy, TX
I just bought a home with a saltwater pool. Is has an Intellichlor IC40 and is hooked up to a Pentair EasyTouch system. Everything was working fine initially, but now the IC40 is acting strange. The “flow” light is red and the salt level LED’s alternate between good and low, constantly, back and forth. Now sure what the issue here is, and I can’t find any info online. My pool guy thinks the cell is going out. Any help for a first time pool owner is appreciated!

I just bought a home with a saltwater pool. Is has an Intellichlor IC40 and is hooked up to a Pentair EasyTouch system. Everything was working fine initially, but now the IC40 is acting strange. The “flow” light is red and the salt level LED’s alternate between good and low, constantly, back and forth. Now sure what the issue here is, and I can’t find any info online. My pool guy thinks the cell is going out. Any help for a first time pool owner is appreciated!
I have the same system. My light turns red like that when my flow, or pump speed, is set too low, or sometimes when I need to backwash. Try adjusting the speed up on your pump. If that doesn't work, you might want to try backwashing. The salt lights act funny like that when the flow light is red. If you can fix the red flow light, the others should go back to normal.

pb,

I think your pool guy has no clue...

The fact that the flow light is on is the first thing to fix... As long as there is no flow, the cell can't calibrate itself and the light will flash, which just means it is trying to calibrate..

Either you have low flow or you don't. If the water returning to the pool feels weak than the most likely cause of low flow is a dirty filter, or a if you have a VS pump it is running too slowly..

If you have plenty of flow going back to the pool, then the most likely cause is a bad flow switch. If the cell is under warranty, file a claim.. If not, a flow switch is a pretty easy DIY fix.

Thanks,

Jim R.

pb,

I think your pool guy has no clue...

The fact that the flow light is on is the first thing to fix... As long as there is no flow, the cell can't calibrate itself and the light will flash, which just means it is trying to calibrate..

Either you have low flow or you don't. If the water returning to the pool feels weak than the most likely cause of low flow is a dirty filter, or a if you have a VS pump it is running too slowly..

If you have plenty of flow going back to the pool, then the most likely cause is a bad flow switch. If the cell is under warranty, file a claim.. If not, a flow switch is a pretty easy DIY fix.

Thanks,

Jim R.
The flow to the pool feels great, and the reading on the gauge at the top of my filters is low. Like I said, I am new to all of this, but was leaning towards the flow switch. I will see if I can find one and swap it out, and hope that fixes the problem!

The flow switches do fail - the flow switch is also the temperature gauge. You can find replacements online, part number 520736. The OEM is only made for Pentair with the combo temp and flow sensors, so don't buy a similar one for Hayward or any other unit. There are some 3rd-party replacement units for half the price; not sure how reliable or compatible they are.

I replaced the flow switch over the weekend and the symptoms remained. I had a pool tech come by yesterday, and he said it is for sure no good. He will be replacing it tomorrow. I would do it myself, but I want to be 100% sure that it is the actual cell, and not something in the control module.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.