Intellichlor IC40 flow switch issue

popechild

Nov 23, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I've had an IC40 installed for about 4 years now and has worked great. Today I noticed the red flow light was on, and stayed on after I cleaned out all the baskets, did a roughly 90 second backwash, and unplugged/replugged the SWG. Next I did an acid clean of the IC40 (which already looked pretty clean), no difference.

Finally decided it must be the flow switch, so I tested it by wrapping a rubber band around it and the light immediately turned green. Double-checked that I didn't have anything blocking any flow anywhere, made sure the switch was aligned properly when I re-installed it, but the light stayed red again. So then I tried a final test with the entire IC40 removed from the pipeline and the rubber band off. Turned on the pump/SWG and tried just manually pushing down the sensor tab with the end of a screwdriver. Red light the whole time, but did get to visually confirm significant water flow pumping out.

Put everything back together with the rubber band back on temporarily and it's happily chugging away with the green light for now.

Any ideas what else I could test? Seems strange that the rubber band works, but manually pushing it down without the rubber band doesn't. I'd assumed the sensor would either be good or bad. Almost seems like it's part-way bad, like it no longer works with normal water pressure, but will still work with a significant amount of pressure (rubber band.) Do I have a bad flow switch?

Likely a bad flow switch. The rubber band would bring the magnet closer to the reed switch than water flow will. Strange the screw driver test did not work but it sounds like the switch has gone bad. You should replace it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.