Jd21476

Jun 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We have an Intellichlor IC40 on our pool and it was brand new when the pool was installed 2 years ago. About a month agonit started to pop the low voltage breaker in the panel. I called a few pool service shops and each one told me that these things usually last about 1-3 years and then they are toast. Warranty is 1 year. I was quoted about $1100 for a new one. Is there a better more reliable option to keep our pool a salt pool? I dont want to pay $1100 every year or two for a garbage unit that obviously has problems but my wife like the salt pool.

Attachments

• IMG_3967.jpeg
    IMG_3967.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3968.jpeg
    IMG_3968.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3969.jpeg
    IMG_3969.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 6
jd,

Most all brands of cells last 5 to 7 years..

I've gone through 3 IC40 cells.. One lasted almost 9 years, one lasted well over 7 years, and one lasted a little over 7 years.

The cell could be bad but about 75% of reported bad cells are not really the cell.

I assume that you have an EasyTouch automation system with a built-in SWCG power center.

If so, unplug the cell and then reset the breaker and see what happens.

Look at the surge card (Mounted to the wall in back of the control panel) and see if the little green light is on.

If you have a system installed by a pool builder it should have a much longer warranty than one year. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

We service 100's of pools with these cells and they last WAY longer than 1-3 years. Most last at least 7 in our experience. We always upsize to double so IC40's on 20k pools and IC60's on anything bigger... we also do a light acid washing on them once very season (here in NJ pools are only open 6 months). The most common failure we see is where the connector goes into the power center sometimes that stops making proper contact and the pins/jack can get corroded. It's a shame that part isn't sold separately so it can be replaced. On rare occasion the flow switch paddle rots out but overall the Pentair systems have been quite solid and with chlorine prices pay for themselves.

Reactions: VetteBlue
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.