Intellichlor and automation

Our pool is just being dug and will be approx. 22,800 gal. We ultimately went with an IC40 SWG, 420 filter and UltraTemp 120R H/C heat pump (125K BTU).

We have friends who went this route with a heat pump and regretted not getting the cooler feature. Heat pumps more economical here. Are OK withgradual heat/cooling.

There was so much information, feedback and opinions we were in overload [emoji3]knew inevitably I would be learning thru experience.

EDIT: Have asked our PB for the incremental cost to upgrade to IC60 and 520. Hoping since we're a ways out from equipment the cost will be marginal.

Miles,

To compare apples to apples..

The 520543 is a dual body system (Pool and Spa) that comes with an IC40 and two valve actuators. At SunPlay it is $1,500. But your PB will obviously charge more.
The 521150 is a dual body system (Pool and Spa) that comes with an IC60 and two valve actuators. At SunPlay it is $1, 800..

The 520593 is a single body system (Pool or Spa) that comes with the IC40 and No valve actuators. At SunPlay it is $1,200

Any of these will work fine for your Pool only set up. Since you do not have any water features or a Spa, you really do not need any valve actuators.

To get the IC60 you'll end up spending $600 extra with this bundle set up and I don't believe it is worth the extra money. It would be if you needed extra relays and the actuators, but you don't

Installing ScreenLogic2 is a pretty easy DIY project.

Jim R.

Jim,

Is there something I could look at to see how to install screen Logic? Curious about diying it. Thanks.

T.

Jim,

Is there something I could look at to see how to install screen Logic? Curious about diying it. Thanks.

T.

T,

You could try this link.. http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/ScreenlogicUG.pdf

But to be honest Pentair is not known to hire anyone that speaks anything but Pentair... :D Their manuals can be somewhat cryptic.

Basically, you can run a four wire cable between your EasyTouch and the inside of your house near your household network router... or you can use the RF Transceiver that comes with the kit. I used the wire because my EasyTouch is on the other side of a wall next to my PC. So, the wire (or RF unit) gets connected to one side of a small box called a Protocol Adapter, the other side of the Adapter gets plugged into your router with an RJ-45 connector just like your PC does. Down load an app, follow the set up instructions, and wa-la.. you're done.

Jim R.

What is the range of the RF Transceiver?

My ET will be located on outside of the same wall of my structured wiring panels and router. Should I just run a RJ-45 cable through the wall and hardware from ET directly to my switch?

Its certainly cheaper to hardwire the protocol adapter to the ET panel if that's a realistic option.

I'm not certain on a range limit for the RF signal but mine is about 175' away and has to make it through 2 tile roofs and radiant barrier sheathing. I've yet to have an issue.

Miles,

The connection between the EasyTouch and the Protocol adapter is a 4-wire cable (not RJ-45). I think the wire needs to be 22 gage or slightly larger. Think "sprinkler" wire.. The RJ-45 cable goes between the Adapter and the router.

I left the RF transceiver out of my system, just to eliminate one "possible" problem area, even if remote. And of course the location of my PC and EasyTouch.

Jim R.

With the SL config app, even programming is pretty easy after some initial setup. The only think I don't think I can do that I want to do from SL config is egg timers.

So, have your guy put in the Easytouch, and do the programming yourself. With your simple system, that won't be hard, and we can help you here if you get stuck.

Since this is our first pool and it will be finished and filled for first time in Dec., would it be best that we don't even bother to install the IC60 SWG until spring? Rather just use conventional liquid chlorine to treat the pool and not have the SWG installed out in the cold when temps will also be too cold to effectively generate chlorine anyway?

Not to mention, don't want the PB to have an excuse to blame a SWG for some random issue before we've even had an opp to open and use the pool...

Pentair makes a "dummy" cell to do just what you want.. It is basically just a PVC tube with the correct unions on each end. You unscrew the IC40/60 and install the dummy cell.

The only downside, if you are at all like me, you will have zip tied and the wiring between the equipment pad and the EasyTouch to make it "pretty".. To take the cell out you will have to ruin all your handy work.. :brickwall:

Jim R.

It's also possible to just install the IC40/60 and not connect it to the ET. The only downside would be a possible need to occasionally clear debris from the inlet of the IC. I don't think there's a significant risk of scaling when the unit is not powered up.

The dummy cell is fine, but it is an additional cost for something that is literally designed to do nothing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ended up buying the Pentair IntelliChlor dummy cell to swap in place of the IC60 over the winter. We'll likely shut off the autofill valve and blow out the line during the winter but keep the pump running. Is my understanding the EasyTouch and IntelliFlo will active freeze protection to keep water moving if temps drop.

Jim, does the arrow on the IntelliChlor have to be pointed in same direction as water flow? Or is the only requirement a specific flow rate to trigger the SWG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. PB installed my IC60 and inserted the dummy cell (it's winter, 48F water here) today while I was gone.

Where in the water flow "chain" should the SWG go? My appears to go:

Filter > Heat pump > SWG > returns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.