Intellichem prematurely reaching pH feed limit

Help. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out why my Pentair Intellichem is reaching its pH feed limit about every other day even though I believe with the programmed settings it should never get reached. This issue has been going on for a year and conversations with Pentair support and technician visits haven't remedied the situation. We didn't have this issue when the system was first installed.
New intellichem board and pH and ORP (chlorine) probes were installed 3 mos. ago. (Jan. 2022)
This is my first post. I hope I've provided the necessary information for you to help me. Thanks in advance.

Intellichem pH settings:
Dose: 4 ounces​
Max Dose/Day: 120 oz (intentionally set more than what system can dose with 4 oz dose and 1.5 hr mix time )​
Mixing Time: 1 hr 30 minutes (Therefore Max. 16 doses per 24 hours 4 x 16 = 64 oz. max)​
Limit Clear - 24 hours (previously have tried "Power on" to clear but that didn't seem to make a difference)​
2 pumps on system (see below) Filter is set to run 15 hrs. per day​

Paper test strips & water tests seem relatively consistent with intellichem so I don't think there is a probe issue.
Had the water tested a couple of days ago:
Total/Free Chlorine - 1.5 (low end - raised Intellichem ORP setpoint a bit after getting this result)​
pH - 7.8 (runs high because I can't always get to clear the feed limit)​
Total Alkalinity - 96 ppm​
CYA - 37 ppm​
Calcium Hardness - 274​
TDS - 100​

Our setup:
Phoenix, AZ; Pool start up: March 2019
11k gal pool/spa combo - outdoor
Basalt Waterwall (which goes 24 hrs/day fed by separate VSF pump (Pentair Intelliflow #011056)
Pool pump (Pentair Intelliflow #011056) runs 4am - 7pm then goes lower flow for Spillway between spa and pool which runs 7pm-3:58am
Pentair IntelliChem water chemistry controller (p/n522622) with acid/chlorine 4 gallon container use w/2 pump system (521378)
Pentair EasyTouch 4 Pool/Spa Control System (p/n520538)
Pentair Screenlogic2 Bundle Smart Phone Tablet compatible Interface protocol adapter (p/n52210)
Filter - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter p/n160332 Model CCP 520)
Gas Heater - Pentair (P/N460736-HTR 400 Mastertemp)
Heat Pump - Aquacal Heatwave Superquiet electric heat pump 110K BTU Heat/cool (Model:120ARDSBPR)
Valve actuator 2 p/n263045
Lights: Paramount ParaGlo3” color LED for spa and 2 Paramount ParaGlo6” color LED for pool
Paramount inground pool cleaning
Wet Edge Pebble Finish - Dark Gray

HGD,

We do not have many members with the IntelliChem, as we find them problematic, and do not recommend them.

We do have a few members using the IntelliChem, but it might take a day or so before one of them sees your post and responds.

I just wanted to make sure you did not think we were just ignoring you. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Can you try setting the mixing time and dose limit to the lowest value possible and then just watch it dispense each dose until it reaches the dose limit? If it does it correctly, then adjust it higher and make sure it's still doing things correctly.

Also, maybe you should manually set the pH correctly first and then the system will only need a small amount of acid.

Hi @HGDAZ, I have the same issue with my Intellichem for both the pH and ORP getting alerts every other day or so. I've called Pentair and the lower level guys only know how to help with configuration assistance, then don't know how to troubleshoot. All they need is a smart guy working there that could guide the customer to pull the ORP or pH dispensing reports from the IntelliCenter (the reports are great, it's just that you can't pull them remotely - you need to walk to the equipment pad)...if you have the IntelliCenter, I recommend pulling the reports to see if you have any luck escalating...I'd pull mine, but walking to the pad to clear the ORP/pH or pulling reports...sheesh...

Help. I'm at my wits end trying to figure out why my Pentair Intellichem is reaching its pH feed limit about every other day even though I believe with the programmed settings it should never get reached. This issue has been going on for a year and conversations with Pentair support and technician visits haven't remedied the situation. We didn't have this issue when the system was first installed.
New intellichem board and pH and ORP (chlorine) probes were installed 3 mos. ago. (Jan. 2022)
This is my first post. I hope I've provided the necessary information for you to help me. Thanks in advance.

Intellichem pH settings:
Dose: 4 ounces​
Max Dose/Day: 120 oz (intentionally set more than what system can dose with 4 oz dose and 1.5 hr mix time )​
Mixing Time: 1 hr 30 minutes (Therefore Max. 16 doses per 24 hours 4 x 16 = 64 oz. max)​
Limit Clear - 24 hours (previously have tried "Power on" to clear but that didn't seem to make a difference)​
2 pumps on system (see below) Filter is set to run 15 hrs. per day​

Paper test strips & water tests seem relatively consistent with intellichem so I don't think there is a probe issue.
Had the water tested a couple of days ago:
Total/Free Chlorine - 1.5 (low end - raised Intellichem ORP setpoint a bit after getting this result)​
pH - 7.8 (runs high because I can't always get to clear the feed limit)​
Total Alkalinity - 96 ppm​
CYA - 37 ppm​
Calcium Hardness - 274​
TDS - 100​

Our setup:
Phoenix, AZ; Pool start up: March 2019
11k gal pool/spa combo - outdoor
Basalt Waterwall (which goes 24 hrs/day fed by separate VSF pump (Pentair Intelliflow #011056)
Pool pump (Pentair Intelliflow #011056) runs 4am - 7pm then goes lower flow for Spillway between spa and pool which runs 7pm-3:58am
Pentair IntelliChem water chemistry controller (p/n522622) with acid/chlorine 4 gallon container use w/2 pump system (521378)
Pentair EasyTouch 4 Pool/Spa Control System (p/n520538)
Pentair Screenlogic2 Bundle Smart Phone Tablet compatible Interface protocol adapter (p/n52210)
Filter - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter p/n160332 Model CCP 520)
Gas Heater - Pentair (P/N460736-HTR 400 Mastertemp)
Heat Pump - Aquacal Heatwave Superquiet electric heat pump 110K BTU Heat/cool (Model:120ARDSBPR)
Valve actuator 2 p/n263045
Lights: Paramount ParaGlo3” color LED for spa and 2 Paramount ParaGlo6” color LED for pool
Paramount inground pool cleaning
Wet Edge Pebble Finish - Dark Gray
Just make the limit higher, adjust the mix time and dosage so it’s only putting in a small dose but make your limit well higher than what you actually need so it doesn’t stop itself, it won’t over do the oh it will only feed if needed to reach the set point

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.