IntelliCenter: wire Intellichlor for constant power or through pump relay?

wgipe

Gold Supporter
Jul 4, 2020
Fletcher, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Howdy folks. Hoping someone can clear up the IntelliCenter installation manual for me. I have an i5p with an intelliflo and intellichlor. I know the pump requires constant power and the RS485 connection controls it. Is the same true for the intellichlor? I’ve read the manual several times now, but can’t tell if wiring to the pump relay is only required for a “dumb” pump or if you wire it to the relay regardless. I interpret it to mean that you wire it to the load side of the pump relay regardless of the pump used. Can someone clear that up for me?

Thanks!

Wes

Last edited:
Howdy folks. Hoping someone can clear up the IntelliCenter installation manual for me. I have an i5p with an intelliflo and intellichlor. I know the pump requires constant power and the RS485 connection controls it. Is the same true for the intellichlor? I’ve read the manual several times now, but can’t tell if wiring to the pump relay is only required for a “dumb” pump or if you wire it to the relay regardless. I interpret it to mean that you wire it to the load side of the pump relay regardless of the pump used. Can someone clear that up for me?

Thanks!

Wes
Mercy sakes. Just solved my own problem. I now see there is no RS485 to an intellichlor. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Wes,

The SWCG must be wired to the load side of the pump filter relay. There is no other option. Obviously there needs to be constant power to the line side of the relay. This prevents the cell from getting power if the pump is not being told to run.

The Intellichlor is controlled by RS485 from the power cable.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wgipe
Wes,

Keep in mind that the Pump/Filter relay will only close when in the pool mode or spa mode and the pump is being told to run.

If you go into the Service mode the relay will open and the cell will not get any power.

You can run the pump, when not in the pool or spa modes, (although I can't think why you would), but if you do, the cell will not be on.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wgipe
Wes,

Keep in mind that the Pump/Filter relay will only close when in the pool mode or spa mode and the pump is being told to run.

If you go into the Service mode the relay will open and the cell will not get any power.

You can run the pump, when not in the pool or spa modes, (although I can't think why you would), but if you do, the cell will not be on.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you, sir!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.