Intellicenter lost pump comms after service mode

DB2

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I have an Intellicenter I10-PS connected with 2 Intelliflo VSFs. When I change the filter DE, I put the Intellicenter in service mode so that I can use the Intelliflo keypad to quickly turn the filter pump on/off.

I did this a couple weeks ago, and when finished put the Intellicenter back in AUTO and walked off. Later that day, I could hear my filter pump running at a higher than normal speed. I went and checked the pump, and it was still operating independently of the Intellicenter, i.e., it was showing rpm etc on the display, and the keypad controls worked. I looked at the other (waterfall) Intelliflo VSF, and same condition - not connected to the Intellicenter.

I tried rebooting pumps and panel, deleting and adding back pumps, with no luck. The panel just shows "comm error" on both pumps. All other functions on the Intellicenter work, including changing IC40 %.

After several attempts, I got Pentair tech support this week. He had me check my firmware, and it was 2.006. He said my issue was a "known issue" with that firmware version. He then had me reboot the panel in safe mode and switch to the previous firmware version, 1.064. Except now the pumps still didn't connect! He had me go the the same power cycle/delete/add back steps also with no luck.

So his final advice was "you need to call an authorized Pentair service company". Yeah right! (My Intellicenter is 3+ years old, and I installed everything myself, so no warranty coverage.)

Has anyone seen this issue before, or have any further troubleshooting advice? Just seems too coincidental that I had a hardware failure at the exact same time I switched from service mode to auto. No visible damage to the PCB with the pump RS485 connections/circuitry.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue and though I never got down to the actual cause, moving the pump rs485 connections to a different header resolved my issue. Initially my rs485 went from the i10ps to the swg to a data bus expansion card then to the pumps. I rearranged so that the expansion card was first from the i10ps and It resolved the issue.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Yes...and no. Some weeks ago I moved both pump RS485 connections to the headers on the RS485 surge board. Connection restored!

But then this weekend, I opened up the app. Literally the second the app loaded I heard the filter pump change rpm, which was strange. I went over to the filter pump and...comm lost. Comm lost to the waterfall VSF also. No cycles were programmed directly into the pump (so I don't think the pumps had been offline, and just coincidentally a programmed rpm change happened when I opened the app).

I then removed the surge board header from the main pcb, and connected both pumps to the main PCB. No luck. Tried rebooting, changing pump addresses, etc..no luck. The Intellichlor is still communicating without issue, so I don't think the RS485 circuitry on the Intellicenter is bad.

And since both pumps have twice lost comm at the exact same time (once on the original RS485 pump header, once this weekend), I don't think the issue is a pump electronics failure.

Incredibly frustrating. This just feels like some sort of firmware issue. Yet I've hit a wall on troubleshooting.

Yes...and no. Some weeks ago I moved both pump RS485 connections to the headers on the RS485 surge board. Connection restored!

But then this weekend, I opened up the app. Literally the second the app loaded I heard the filter pump change rpm, which was strange. I went over to the filter pump and...comm lost. Comm lost to the waterfall VSF also. No cycles were programmed directly into the pump (so I don't think the pumps had been offline, and just coincidentally a programmed rpm change happened when I opened the app).

I then removed the surge board header from the main pcb, and connected both pumps to the main PCB. No luck. Tried rebooting, changing pump addresses, etc..no luck. The Intellichlor is still communicating without issue, so I don't think the RS485 circuitry on the Intellicenter is bad.

And since both pumps have twice lost comm at the exact same time (once on the original RS485 pump header, once this weekend), I don't think the issue is a pump electronics failure.

Incredibly frustrating. This just feels like some sort of firmware issue. Yet I've hit a wall on troubleshooting.
Have you checked the firmware revision on your intelliflo? 3.03 and 3.04 are known to have an issue

Regarding Intelliflo firmware, I have not, although I actually searched around yesterday for information on Intelliflo firmware, and came up empty.

How does one find the latest version, and how to upgrade it? Both pumps are part number 11056, both purchased in Dec 2021.

How does one find the latest version, and how to upgrade it? Both pumps are part number 11056, both purchased in Dec 2021.
@Jimrahbe has addressed this in prior threads. You need to get on the Intelliflo screen (Service Mode for Intellicenter) and page through the screens to get to Firmware. If you have one of the two problem FW, then call Pentair. They must send a tech to flash the upgraded FW.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.