Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Over the last 2 weeks this has become an almost daily thing. The pool is running fine and then all of a sudden it shuts off. I dont see any error messages on the Intellicenter Screen other than it has lost connectivity to the VSF and IC40. It is always both of them at the same time. I can easily fix it by either switching to service mode and back, or rebooting the intellicenter, but I shouldnt have to do that all of the time.

I havent done anything differently the last 2 weeks. I thought maybe it had to do with the fact that I had not broken down the filter (DE FNS 60), I only had backwashed as needed. I deep cleaned the filter this morning, everything was running fine and it just now shut down again.

I'm not sure if this is a setting, something physically wrong, how the automation is wired to the pump/IC40, etc. What say you TFP peeps? Its still under warranty, so I can go that route if it is not an easy DIY fix.

JJ,

The thing that the pump, and IC40, have in common is the pump/filter relay.. That relay is only closed when in the Pool mode or Spa mode..

The relay could be bad, but I suspect that you have some program or function that turns off the Pool or Spa mode.

The next time you have the problem, make sure you are either in the pool or spa modes, and if so, then tap the pump/filter relay and see what happens. I would also confirm that the relay has 240 VAC on the line inputs, as well as the load outputs, anytime the pump and IC40 should be running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

JJ,

Do you routinely turn "scheduled " circuits on and off manually?

As an example.. If you manually turn on/off your Pool Circuit, then depending on when you do it... it can screw up the schedule, and will run until the egg-timer turns it off.. It can also cause the system to skip the next schedule.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks.

My schedule is pretty basic. Pool runs 1am to 1am, so 24/7. Then I have a Skim High program that runs an hour in the morning and a few hours in the afternoon.

1591541449278.png

It does seem to happen only in the afternoons, but at odd times. Yesterday it was at 3:09 and then another time at 4:40ish. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it is consistent at the same time(s).

I do turn on the skim high manually when we are swimming during the day, which is most days. I just kicked it on a few minutes ago and will keep an eye on it.

Does that shed any light on the mystery?

JJ,

I can't see a problem with what you are doing.. Pool never shuts off, so the relay should stay closed 24/7...

As long as you are not manually turning "Pool" on and off, it should not make any difference what else you turn on or off...

Looking more like a relay... or maybe some bug in your fancy new system... :poke:

Not sure it matters, but my egg timer for the Pool Circuit is set to "Don't Stop"..

Thanks,

Jim R.

or maybe some bug in your fancy new system... :poke:

Yeah, but at least when I have to reboot it every freakin day, it is in color :laughblue:

I've never really messed with egg timers, but I just set the pool circuit to never stop a second ago. Maybe that will do the trick.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Ok, so what I read was... "If it happens again, post again so Jim can hold my hand and tell me how to swap my relay thingamajig"

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Ok, it did it again this afternoon. It was on skim high (manually turned that circuit on around 10am, it all turned off at 4:19pm).

Below are the error messages on my phone, which mirrored the errors on the unit itself. After a quick reboot of the panel it all is back running again.

1591565813754.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jj,

I thought about this and it can't be the relay, unless the pump is being powered by the Pump/Filter relay..

Show me a pic of your relays.. something like this one..

IntelliFlo Breaker1.jpg

Thanks,

Jim R.

JJ,

Well, I don't see anything obvious.. :(

But for both of those warnings to come on at the same time means the pump/filter relay is being told to shut off...

I'll think about it some more, but for now it does not make sense..

Jim R

Ok, thanks. I have a bunch of kids in the pool now, but I may just delete the schedule and start over just in case there is something I'm missing.

My other thought is that the pump is on the west facing brick wall of the house and this seems to only happen in the afternoons. I can feel the heat coming off of the wall, would that have anything to do with it?

My other thought is that the pump is on the west facing brick wall of the house and this seems to only happen in the afternoons. I can feel the heat coming off of the wall, would that have anything to do with it?

JJ,

If the pump shut off by itself, the IntelliCenter would never know.. It would not cause a communication error for the pump, nor for the IC40..

For both to happen at the same time, the pump/filter relay is being "told" by the main board to shut off.. I just can't understand why..

If I understand you correctly, the pump only starts again when you reboot the system... Correct???

If so, the next time it shuts off, check the main panel and make sure the system is still in auto and that the system is still in the Pool Mode. I suspect that you will find that you are not in the pool mode and that is why it shuts off.. What does the IntelliCenter manual say about running 24/7.. Schedule wise???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, so it did it again. I checked the schedule and it said pool was running. It was also in Auto, and the pump screen said "Display not active" like it normally does.

I also put a picture of my entire equipment pad, intellicenter, pump and all just so you can see the giant west facing, heat reflecting brick side of the house. Its probably not it, but that is by far the hottest area of the house and it seems to be only tripping in the afternoons.
IMG_6804 (1).PNG

IMG_6809.jpg

JJ,

Nothing is making sense???

If the pump says "Display not active" that means the automation is talking to the pump. So why would you get a com error?

If you are in the pool mode the pump/filter should be closed and the SWCG should not have a com error..

Thinking about your heat theory, maybe one of the com port connections is not connected well and is intermittent when hot.

You would think if it were a programming error, it would happen at the same time every day.. :scratch:

I'm shutting down for the night, Maybe I'll have a dream about it.. :mrgreen:

Jim R,

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.