Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I tried setting up a new feature circuit “Pump Max” and programmed it for the pump maximum RPM of 3450 in the associated feature “Pump Max” in the pump settings. I get no response when enabling the feature. I’ve tried it a various speeds in case I was running up against some pump limitation but no response there either. I do have two other feature circuits, “Mix” and “Sheer Descent”, that will control to the selected speeds when active. The circuits all appear to be set for the same options. What could be preventing the new one from engaging when selected (no other features enabled, setting higher that pool default)? Anybody else run in to a similar issue?

This help at all?

Reactions: MyAZPool
Yes, I have the same thing happening with one of my feature circuits.

What pump do you have? Fill out your complete signature when you have a minute.
I had the equipment listed in the fields but only a few items showed up. I’ve updated the about me section but am not sure if it’s showing up.

I have a 3 HP Pentair VSF.

This help at all?
I saw that before posting and it looked to be for the web interface. I’m not able to log in to the web interface. It responds that it doesn’t have a record of my email even though that’s what I use for the app login and is the one that shows up on my panel.

Reaching, but any chance that in the pump settings menu the max speed is set to lower than 3450?
I checked that on the IntelliCenter panel and it shows the max at 3450. I was curious if the pump could have been set for a lower speed on its on-board system but it does not appear that I can access that system when the pump is connected to the IntelliCenter (pump display says not used).

I was curious if the pump could have been set for a lower speed on its on-board system but it does not appear that I can access that system when the pump is connected to the IntelliCenter (pump display says not used
If you put the intellicenter into service mode you should be able to access the pump menu

If you change the speed on an existing circuit to 3450, does it still activate?
It would not activate on an existing functional circuit when I put in 3450 RPM. It doesn’t seem to respond when the set point is in RPM instead of GPM at any speed. I took the GPM up to the max setting (134) and the pump was around 3000 RPM. The reported flow was only about 70 GPM. I put the system in service mode and saw similar settings (450/3450 RPM & 20/140 GPM - not 134 as on the IntelliCenter). I did notice the pump has a disabled flow limit setpoint and an enabled max pressure set point set to 30 psi. The pump will operate at 3450 when priming.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you put the intellicenter into service mode you should be able to access the pump menu
That worked for pump menu access. The settings were the same with the exception of the max GPM which showed up as 140 on the pump and 134 on the IntelliCenter. There is a max pressure set point, currently at 30, that may be contributing to limitations but the pump will go to 3450 during startup prime.

Last edited:
Do you happen to have a mix of gpm/rpm settings? As I recall , intellicenter gets real confused if so
I have all my other settings in GPM except for the Pump Max which I had in RPM. That could be the issue with this particular feature circuit.

I adjusted the pressure limitation to the maximum, from 30 to 50 psi. The pump will go to the near maximum speed 3437 of 3450 when set for the maximum GPM. It can’t achieve the GPM, operating at 83 GPM of the 134 max. The pump display shows Speed Limit, so I’d think my system has too much restriction to meet the GPM call. I’m assuming the pressure limitation was kicking in and preventing the Pump Max from reaching speed, but I don’t recall seeing a Pressure Limit notice on the pump when trying. Perhaps the pressure limitation is ignored during priming or the system takes a while for the pressure to stabilize. Either way, I think my problem is addressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahultin
Summary of Resolution:
IntelliCenter has issues when setpoints are a mix of GPM and RPM. Addressed by setting all set points using GPM. The pump on-board pressure limitation was limiting pump speed. The setting is not visible within the IntelliCenter. Addressed putting the IntelliCenter in service mode to allow access to the on-board pump settings and adjusting the pressure limitation to a higher pressure in the on-board pump controller.

@BradK
Been lurking on this thread to see where it goes, but now I have a really dumb question that I would like to ask.
Why do you want to run your VSF at max speed?
Just curious.
Thanks...
r.

@BradK
Been lurking on this thread to see where it goes, but now I have a really dumb question that I would like to ask.
Why do you want to run your VSF at max speed?
Just curious.
Thanks...
r.
It was more for diagnostic and balancing issues. I have a sheer descent and spa fountain and wanted to see how they perform across the range. I won’t be running it a max since it uses so much more energy than a slower speed and doesn’t change the performance of the water features much. I can run at about 60 GPM with the pump at about 2/3 max speed and use 1000 watts or can get to about 85-90 GPM at full speed using 2500 watts

It was more for diagnostic and balancing issues. I have a sheer descent and spa fountain and wanted to see how they perform across the range.
Perfect :goodjob:
Yea, I was just curious. I actually did something similar but for a different reason.
I wanted to see just how accurate the watts reported to IntelliCenter actually were. So I connected a real watt meter and compared its readings to what the pump reported. I did that at 100 rpm increments from 500 rpm up to and including 3400 rpm.

17db7aa8-8a52-465f-9919-258ec85c1619_1_105_c-jpeg.343115
81d0bc44-7136-439d-8956-9f5c43c517c4_1_105_c-jpeg.343114

In case you're curious, here is a chart that I came up with
2021-06-09_07-14-10-jpg.343314

Some of the more knowledgeable members here on TFP had some great explanations of why the disparity between the numbers the pump reports and what an actual watt meter reports.

I won’t be running it at max since it uses so much more energy than a slower speed and doesn’t change the performance of the water features much. I can run at about 60 GPM with the pump at about 2/3 max speed and use 1000 watts or can get to about 85 GPM at full speed using 2500 watts when the filters relatively clean.
I agree... Yea at 3400 RPM, were looking at 2.61 kW. :p

Anyway, sorry about going down that rabbit hole and hijacking your thread. Just thought you might be curious about all of this.

Thanks again..
r.

Reactions: pjt and Ahultin
Perfect :goodjob:
Yea, I was just curious. I actually did something similar but for a different reason.
I wanted to see just how accurate the watts reported to IntelliCenter actually were. So I connected a real watt meter and compared its readings to what the pump reported. I did that at 100 rpm increments from 500 rpm up to and including 3400 rpm.

17db7aa8-8a52-465f-9919-258ec85c1619_1_105_c-jpeg.343115
81d0bc44-7136-439d-8956-9f5c43c517c4_1_105_c-jpeg.343114

In case you're curious, here is a chart that I came up with
2021-06-09_07-14-10-jpg.343314

Some of the more knowledgeable members here on TFP had some great explanations of why the disparity between the numbers the pump reports and what an actual watt meter reports.

I agree... Yea at 3400 RPM, were looking at 2.61 kW. :p

Anyway, sorry about going down that rabbit hole and hijacking your thread. Just thought you might be curious about all of this.

Thanks again..
r.
Good information. Glad to have taken a look. I kinda assumed the reporting was going to be inaccurate and algorithmic but it’s something.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.