Austin TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
How do I test actuator A? I have named it Valve Solar, but it does not show up in the Service menu. I then assigned it to the Solar circuit (which I have not setup using the Install wizard/menu) and tried to turn Solar on/off from the Service menu, but nothing happens.

The other 2 actuators that I have work for Pool/Spa mode change. Don't quite get what the Valve entries (body 1, body 2, drain, etc) are meant to do in the Service menu. None of them activates my Valve Solar (actuator A).

Diane,

If you set up the system and tell it you have a solar system, it will automatically make Valve A your solar valve.. You can't just tell solar to turn on, it is all controlled by the automation and the set points for water temp..

Let's see if we can get some of our members with the IntelliCenter to chime in..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do not have the panels installed yet nor the solar temp probe attached. Have put a shunt in the solar plumbing so it'll loop and want to test those pipes & fittings. Is there no way except Service mode at the valve itself?

This is inside the shed where the solar panels will be mounted on the roof. The right pipe is TO panels; the left FROM panels.
Solar shunt in shed.jpg

Last edited:
Diane,

Not sure you can do anything without a lot of effort... I guess you could add the right resistance resistors in place of the solar temp sensors and tricking the system into thinking it needs to move the valve..

Another way would be to connect to valve B (as a test) and then tell the system to turn on valve B.. This would at least tell you that the actuator and wiring were OK..

Thanks,

Jim R.

But since I haven't told the system that I have Solar yet, would that really be any different? The IntelliCenter seems a little strange to me at this point about showing valves in the Service menu. @MyAZPool, you have a jillion actuators IIRC. How do you test them?

Well, I don't have a jillion, only 6. That is quite a bit less IntelliValves, then some I know lol... But anyway....

The valve actuator needs to be associated with a Feature Circuit. Once that is done, you can move that valve actuator to it's pre-set 2nd position, simply by activating that Feature Circuit.
This can be done manually through the web client or mobile app. The feature circuit can also be activated by including it in a macro. The macro or the feature circuit can also be activated by associating it with a schedule.

Anytime the Feature circuit is de-activated, the valve actuator will move back to it's home position.
r.

EDIT: BTW, I think @setsailsoon utilized solar with his IntelliCenter. I don't, so I don't have the practical knowledge or experience there. Only what I read in the manual which is the ole proverbial "exercise in futility" :p

Last edited:
Also, some of the "home brew" guys have developed a method of utilizing low voltage relays to move the IntelliValve because they have more valves then what the valve expansion module, and the mother and daugher cards can handle. That is a last resort because there is a lot to consider and incorporate there. You should be able to do what you want to do without going down that road.
r.

The valve actuator needs to be associated with a Feature Circuit.
Still in the super basic stage and haven't done any Feature Circuits or even defined the pump or tried the wireless yet. :LOL:

So maybe I could add a generic Feature like FakeSolar (if it'll let me create a name), add the valve to that and it should show up on the Home screen so I can turn the actuator on/off. Should it show up in the Service menu too?

Just curious: it says in the magnificent manual that Valve A is used for Solar for shared equipment. Is that exclusive use so that if you don't have solar, you can't use it for anything else?

Correct. Valve A, B (and C through H on the Valve Expansion Module, if applicable), can be used to actuate a valve actuator for just about anything that you can think up. (y)

Still in the super basic stage and haven't done any Feature Circuits or even defined the pump or tried the wireless yet. :LOL:

So maybe I could add a generic Feature like FakeSolar (if it'll let me create a name), add the valve to that and it should show up on the Home screen so I can turn the actuator on/off. Should it show up in the Service menu too?

Just curious: it says in the magnificent manual that Valve A is used for Solar for shared equipment. Is that exclusive use so that if you don't have solar, you can't use it for anything else?
Service menu?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Settings-Service Mode
Gotcha... In service mode, the only thing that will show up in that menu are AUX circuits, solar and some shared body valves (Intake and Return).
Feature Circuits and Circuit Groups (macros) will not.

My personal opinion is that I have not found anything in the service menu that I can't do in the "Auto" menus.

If a schedule is running and I want to test something, then I just turn that macro off manually in the "Features" menu, do what I need to do and then turn that macro back on manually. The schedule will then turn it off when the schedule expires.

More inexperienced users seem to get "tripped up" when playing around in the service menu then anything else I believe. They typically forget to put it back into auto when no timer is set and then can't understand why their system does not operate properly (schedules don't come on, can't control circuits from the UI's etc.)

r.

Last edited:
In service mode, the only thing that will show up in that menu are AUX circuits, solar and some shared body valves (Intake and Return). Feature Circuits and Circuit Groups (macros) will not.

My personal opinion is that I have not found anything in the service menu that I can't do in the "Auto" menus.
I kinda see what you mean. The valve selections presented there don't make sense to me. IIRC, it said Drain, Fill, Body 1, and Body 2. Not going to invest any time trying to figure it out.

Anyhow, went out & created the FakeSolar Feature. Could not change Valve A from Solar. Huh? Changed the plug to Valve B & got it working.

Thanks y'all. (y)

I kinda see what you mean. The valve selections presented there don't make sense to me. IIRC, it said Drain, Fill, Body 1, and Body 2. Not going to invest any time trying to figure it out.

Anyhow, went out & created the FakeSolar Feature. Could not change Valve A from Solar. Huh? Changed the plug to Valve B & got it working.

Thanks y'all. (y)
Show me your created feature circuit for valve A and your valve page if you can. If it works for valve B, it will work for valve A, all things being equal.
r.
BTW, just in case you're unaware. You might want to ensure that power is removed from the IntelliCenter system, prior to unplugging or plugging in those 3 pin JST SM connectors for the actuators. The IntelliValves are more intricate and sensitive and if you don't take that precaution, you might be "one less IntelliValve".... Don't ask me how I know (it's embarrassing), but I do. ;)
Better to learn from other's mistakes, rather than your own if you know what I mean. (y)
r.

Last edited:
Show me your created feature circuit for valve A and your valve page if you can. If it works for valve B, it will work for valve A, all things being equal.
Working from the panel. Created a simple feature, FakeSolar. Then went to the valve page for Valve A & planned to just change the circuit from solar to FakeSolar, but that was not editable. Just replugged valve to B and no problem. Hopefully I'll be able to kill the feature & replug the valve back to A when I'm ready to get the solar going.

You might want to ensure that power is removed from the IntelliCenter, prior to unplugging or plugging in those 3 pin connectors for the actuators.
Yes, I powered down by flipping the breaker before replug. Is there another way to it turn off? Kind of remembered reading your post about it sometime ago.

Working from the panel. Created a simple feature, FakeSolar. Then went to the valve page for Valve A & planned to just change the circuit from solar to FakeSolar, but that was not editable. Just replugged valve to B and no problem. Hopefully I'll be able to kill the feature & replug the valve back to A when I'm ready to get the solar going.

Yes, I powered down by flipping the breaker before replug. Is there another way to it turn off? Kind of remembered reading your post about it sometime ago.
Flipping the breaker that delivers power to the System Transformer is my method of choice as well, in order to remove power from the system. Good job with that. Anytime working within the high voltage compartment of the Load Center however and I turn off the breaker at the main house panel that delivers power to the IntelliCenter Load Center.... (y)

Understand about working at the panel... You'll find it much easier to configure circuits, etc., etc. from the web client once you get to that point....
r.

Flipping the breaker that delivers power to the System Transformer is my method of choice as well, in order to remove power from the system. Good job with that. Anytime working within the high voltage compartment of the Load Center however and I turn off the breaker at the main house panel that delivers power to the IntelliCenter Load Center.... (y)
Fortunately I have a subpanel on the right towards the back next to the light.
Pool Pad build - 07 pump module.jpg

Reactions: MyAZPool
Wow,
Your Eq Pad is looking very colorful. Nice (y) What do the different colors represent?
You did a lot in a tight space.. Very clean!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.