Naples, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So, is anyone aware of a way to use an aux output from another device to manage a feature circuit that could control the Intelliflo3? I have a Rudd Crosswind V heat pump and I much prefer the flexibility and information that I get using it's wifi connection and the Raymote app vs connecting it to the Intellicenter. As I have ordered an Intelliflo3 I would like to be able to set a different speeds depending on whether the heater is running or not.

I have sucessfully created an automation in the Raymote app that will turn an Aux output on or off based on the state of the heater (Demand or No Demand) but I am curious if I can make the Intellicenter see that and configure a circuit to control the pump speed. The info on outputs from the Crosswind manual is below:

27. EXTERNAL CONTROL OUTPUTS Crosswind V heater controller offers multiple external optional outputs designed to drive 2-valve actuators, a single-speed pump, a variable-speed pumps and 2 auxiliary relay outputs for On/Off devices like blowers, lights, or water feature actuators. The controller is also equipped with an optional auxiliary input to enable external fault or interlock. The available optional inputs and outputs are listed below.
• Valve 1 and 2 Outputs [P19 and P20]. Standard 24VAC outputs to control 2-way or 3-way valve actuators.
• Single-Speed Pump Output [P5]. Low voltage (24VAC) output designed to command a single-speed pump (or others on/off device). This output must be used in conjunction with a field-supplied 24VAC relay.
• 5-pin output to command variable-speed pumps compatible with 30VDC digital signals for speed selection.
• Auxiliary 1 and 2 outputs. General purpose relay outputs to control On/Off devices. These outputs do not supply power. Use in conjunctions with external power supply. Use additional field-supplied relays for applications above 3 amperes.
• Auxiliary Input [P11]. The control provides an optional auxiliary input that can be configured to display and record a fault or to trigger an interlock and inhibit heater operation.
• Remote control selector [P7]. The control provides a standard 3-wire selector to work in conjunction with external automation controllers. Please refer to section 16 in page 30, for details about wiring and configuration of remote mode selector.
• Solar Heater integration [P9 and P11]. The control provides a 10K sensor input in P11 and a 24VAC 3-way valve standard output in P9 to integrate the Heat pump operation with a solar heater.

Cheers!
Ed

Wire the Crosswinds 5 pin output through some relays to make it look like a IS4 spa controller. That gives you 4 “buttons” or triggers that can be assigned to circuits to do whatever.

Pentair_Spaside_4_Button_Remote_Schematic.jpg

Oh, thats genius! I knew I came to the right place... thanks @ajw22!!

So can I wire directly to J8, (no, thats 30vdc) or I need to use relays... Or could I hook Aux 1 and Aux 2 (which have no power) to J8 with 5vdc to the + side

Last edited:
You don’t put any voltage into the IntelliCenter. The IS4 is just momentary contact switches. Use voltage on the Crosswinds to trigger relay SPST contacts.

Trying hard to understand the wiring logic... I see that its possible now, maybe this will help you step me through it with Aux 1 and Aux 2 from the heater, I think this might work:

Auxiliary Outputs 1 and 2 Wiring The control is equipped to operate two general-purpose dry-contact relay outputs. The control provides a terminal block with screw connections labeled "AUX 1" and "AUX 2". See Figure 146. Each auxiliary output can independently control one or multiple external devices or electric ON/OFF circuits. These auxiliary relay terminals do not supply voltage and act as power interrupters. Before using these auxiliary outputs, take into account the following considerations: • Use the auxiliary output to drive power from an external power source to an external device or electric circuit.
• The auxiliary outputs are rated for applications of up to 3 amps. For loads above 3 amps, install a larger relay or contactor in cascade with the auxiliary output.
• Each auxiliary output works as a SPDT relay, providing a Common terminal "C", a Normally Open terminal "NO", and a Normally Closed terminal "NC". Select the proper terminals based on the needs of your application.

Sorry, working with my phone and a tablet, I could only get a screenshot for the figure...

Thanks a TON!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240523_060700_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_060700_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
@ajw22 I'm not quite sure what relays or how to wire them to spoof the iS4 with the 5pin from the heat pump. Can I just wire the AUX 1 output direct to the iS4 connector?

Thanks!
Ed