IntelliCenter app connect locally issue (and resolution)

KevinBond

May 7, 2021
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I had an issue connecting to IntelliCenter locally via the android app and I thought I'd share how I resolved in case anyone else runs into this.

My IntelliCenter is connected to my router/modem via a physical ethernet cable. I had been able to connect remotely (via the Pentair server) but not locally. When I tried to connect to the IntelliCenter IP in the app, nothing happened, even though I was connected to my local WiFi.

Turns out, my modem/router has two WiFi networks: A: Primary and B: Secondary. My phone was connected to B when I couldn't connect to IntelliCenter locally. Once I switched my phone to use A, I connected no problem. I guess B is completely isolated from A and A is on the same network as the physical ethernet ports on my modem/router. I didn't dig in but it's possible I could have configured my modem/router to allow cross-network connections but this was the simplest solution.

I don't know for sure but I assume if IntelliCenter is connected to the internet via WiFi, to connect locally, your phone would need to be on the same WiFi network as IntelliCenter (both on A or both on B).

The Pentair server has been extremely flaky and slow over the last few weeks so this was a big win for me.

Anyway, maybe someone else might find this useful someday!

Reactions: lisawillmon
Lots of Wifi routers have this kind of feature, where the secondary network explicitly called the Guest network. That way, you can give visitors the password to the guest network, and they can't access anything else in your house. It's good for security.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.