Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hello,

Finally getting toward the end of my pool renovation. Water temp is only upto 75 here in the UK but the kids are in every day!

Anyway, my last big job is the coping installation and was looking for advice regarding laying stone coping over a cover track.

The area will be back filled and compacted with crushed limestone to approximately the height of the blockwork you can see and the coping will be laid onto a mortar bed ontop of the block work.

My question is what mortar thickness should l I be aiming for between the bottom of the coping and the top of pool cover track?

The profile of the track has a small 1/8" raised lip at the water edge. Should the coping sit directly on this, perhaps with a line of silicone on the lip, with a 1/8" mortar bed across the width of the track, then 1 1/2" mortar bed for the remaining coping depth? I'll be using a mortar with bonding agent for adhesion.

1620645098400.png

1620645445656.png

1620645502247.png

it can lay directly on that lip (in fact that will give you a pretty level substrate, however, you will want a little bit of back slope on the coping, so your mortar depth should allow for that slope (we are talking half a bubble on a level, just enough that pooling water will make its way away from your pool- so you might want to go higher than that lip if it doesn't allow for you to get a slight back slope).

What type and size will your coping stones be?

Last edited:
The stone is sawn black basalt, 600mm x 300mm x 50mm with a half bullnose down 1 length. Definitely enough lip to slope away from the pool. Probably a 1" overhang.

Similar to this:

1620658533866.png

That's a thick mortar bed. I would clean the block up well amd apply a bonding agent. Use a board attached to the backside for a form slightly lower than top of track. Pour that with concrete to come up the inch and a half your low. Then attach your coping with high quality thinset that's outdoor rated amd pitch it slightly away from the pool. For the rest of the base limestone crushed is good, make sure it's not screenings, needs to have irregular shaped small stone mixed in to lock it together and mechanically compact that in small lifts

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.