Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal frame

You can just use some thick string. That's what I used which I'm the original poster of this and the string is still working fine. You just have to have enough tightness to keep the liner from flapping back over so doesn't take much to secure it. I'm so so glad to see this whole idea has help so many people. Seeing all the pictures of ones done is so awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just cut holes in my new liner, put in the suction caps and I'm getting some slight leaking from the area. So do I need more gaskets or sealant? I've come so far, don't want to lose the thousands of gallons already put in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We finally have everything we need to start reassembling our pool and getting this going. But I have a question about cutting out the bottom drain holes that are on each side. Is this necessary to cut them out and cover with duct tape? Or can we just leave the drains alone? I know we will feel them thru the new liner. We are just anxious about cutting them out. Thanks in advance!!

Lisa, can you explain what you mean by the large holes caused leaks, so you cut them more? I have the larger pump and holes already.
I think my main problem is I had a rip in the original liner under the intake valve. I don't think I repaired it well enough before filling. I may have to drain it down below hole and try again.

When I cut larger holes I had leaks. Then I went back and trimmed the edges a little more and pot gaskets on both sides and no leaks.

I did not know you already had larger holes. If it came with them and you did not cut them bigger to install larger return and intake then I am not sure why you have the leak. If you cut the holes yourself if there is even one bit of a flap that hits the threads it can leake. You have to trim the edges so there are no small peiecec sitting up on the threads.

Hope that makes sense.

We finally have everything we need to start reassembling our pool and getting this going. But I have a question about cutting out the bottom drain holes that are on each side. Is this necessary to cut them out and cover with duct tape? Or can we just leave the drains alone? I know we will feel them thru the new liner. We are just anxious about cutting them out. Thanks in advance!!

I didn't want to take a chance on the drain cutting the new liner so that's why I cut them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal f

Oh MY! This is awesome! I am definitely going to do this! I have been looking for clamps for the oval shaped frame (they only sell them for the round frame) I have an 18' round pool and we are at the point where we need a new liner.
I didn't want to buy a new pool so was scouring the web looking for a solution! Your ingenuity has saved the day!

I got my liner installed, pool filled and it works great. I bought a 60 inch by 21 ft expandable liner on ebay from pool products.com for $177 delivered. Byers super snap tarp holders on ebay, $42 for 45 of them. I bought some 1/2 inch pcv conduit at the farm and home store and put it through the loops around the side of the old intex pool and did not connect the last piece of pipe until the pool filled to the top. I did cut off the old drain plugs and covered the holes with duct tape, I just cut off the inside nipples. I put the liner in and held the seam around the bottom about 6 inches above the pool bottom using 1/4 nylon rope to go through the tarp holders and around the pcv in the loops. As the pool filled the bottom expanded very nicely and I slacked the rope as it filled. When it got to the drain holes I cut them out with a exacto knife and put the gaskets on the inside, no leaks. All the wrinkles went away and it looks great. The pcv pipe may not be needed as there is not a lot of pressure on the tarp holders.

I got my liner installed, pool filled and it works great. I bought a 60 inch by 21 ft expandable liner on ebay from pool products.com for $177 delivered. Byers super snap tarp holders on ebay, $42 for 45 of them. I bought some 1/2 inch pcv conduit at the farm and home store and put it through the loops around the side of the old intex pool and did not connect the last piece of pipe until the pool filled to the top. I did cut off the old drain plugs and covered the holes with duct tape, I just cut off the inside nipples. I put the liner in and held the seam around the bottom about 6 inches above the pool bottom using 1/4 nylon rope to go through the tarp holders and around the pcv in the loops. As the pool filled the bottom expanded very nicely and I slacked the rope as it filled. When it got to the drain holes I cut them out with a exacto knife and put the gaskets on the inside, no leaks. All the wrinkles went away and it looks great. The pcv pipe may not be needed as there is not a lot of pressure on the tarp holders.

Post up some pics! Congrats on the new liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.