Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal frame

Thank-you all for the wonderful ideas! After chasing mystery leaks for 2 weeks I gave in and ordered a new inner liner for our 14' X 48" Intex Ultra Frame Pool. Everything is installed and the pool will finish filling tonight but I have a couple of last minute questions about the intake/outflow holes for the pump. Did anyone use adhesive (at the holes) between the new liner and the old? If so what type did you use? And did you cut the hole exactly the same size, larger or smaller? Kinda panicking about cutting a HOLE in a brand new liner even though I know it has to be done. :-? Also if it makes a difference I ordered a larger pump so I am using a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 adapter kit for the hoses. The last thing I want is water leaking between the liners...

I used adhesive between the new liner and the rubber gasket. I didn't put any between the liners. I just did it to make sure the liner didn't pull away from the gasket. I don't think it does or will so it might not be needed. I cut my hole the same size as the original hole on the intex liner. I let the water get right up to the bottom of the hole and put a board on the inside and cut the liner from the outside through the intex hole. Hopefully we will hear from others and see what they did.

I used adhesive between the new liner and the rubber gasket. I didn't put any between the liners. I just did it to make sure the liner didn't pull away from the gasket. I don't think it does or will so it might not be needed. I cut my hole the same size as the original hole on the intex liner. I let the water get right up to the bottom of the hole and put a board on the inside and cut the liner from the outside through the intex hole. Hopefully we will hear from others and see what they did.

i did the same thing as far as the liner. traced out the original hole on the return and the skimmer. let the water get up about 3-4'' below the openings. no adhesive at all. everything snugged up nicely!

Awesome! Thank-you!! That's what I needed to know...wish me luck, LOL This year has been an exercise in futility so far, the Grandbabies are getting restless and Gramma needs a beer and a looong float! :D

Oh how I wish I would've stumbled upon this site and thread sooner. Last summer my family was given a 15x48 Intex metal frame pool. I put up in a hurry (in the most level area I have) so the kids could start enjoying it. They loved it for a couple weeks, until all the leaks starting appearing. Started off with several small leaks then finished off with a 2' long tear in the bottom. I drained it and pretty much let it sit. This summer we were given a 10x30 best way easy set. I've gotten pretty good about putting air in the ring on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day. But seeing how much the kids love having a pool, it's time to do it right. So I decided it was time to see about resurrecting the metal frame pool. Replace a few poles and the liner and I'd be ready to go! Now I'm having trouble finding an actual replacement liner and stumble upon this thread while searching for a liner. Unfortunately while setting up the easy set I decided I needed more that just a tarp under it, so I cut the bottom out of metal frame liner to use as more protection. Guess I'm searching for a whole new pool now, or at least one that has a whole liner in it so I can use this little trick.

Thanks for the great ideas though, I'll be sure and use them at some point in time!

So I'm curious, and new, has anyone used a standard overlap liner? It appears that joshuaburris did, but I'm am unsure, or possibly extremely tired. Reason I ask is because I'd like to get a liner that has a Caribbean theme, and it seems all I find for expandables is blue or blue with a swirl bottom. Oh, my pool is a 24'x52" ultra frame if anyone needs to know. Thanks y'all!

Also joined forum due to this thread... you'd think with setting up pool on concrete patio with bottom liner and taking down, drying, folding per manufacturer's instructions, with corn starch, storing in sealed poly tote, on a pallet, in dry storm cellar... would prevent leaks for many years! But such is not the case.

I will be purchasing the overlapped liner as the Original Poster and be done with the pin hole leaks.

Note to Intex, (if you care!) Had been so pleased with Intex's previous performance, that it encouraged my decision to purchase their PureSpa last winter.... learned about the AGP leaks this spring....
I've learned you're not going to be there for customer service, so....

Screw me once, shame on you! Screw me twice shame on me. Now you won't see another dime from me.

Re: Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal f

Dang that would have worked out good. Didn't think about doing that. With the double layer I would not have had to wrap the railing with the plastic. Since I don't leave mine up all year I will give that a try next year. I will have to buy a new liner since it will be impossible to get the suction hole lined up. Well I just got an idea just now while typing that. Next year when I install the same liner I can move the precut liner suction hole over and once the water gets below 3" from it, I can just cut a new hole in the Intex liner instead of trying to line up the precut liner hole to the precut Intex hole. :whoot: I wish the sand pump would suck up over the wall. That would have make it to where they would be no holes to cut. I am having so much fun with this. The posibilities are endless.

Keep in mind that liners made for steel wall pools are meant to keep water in them. They're just covered up with a pool cover. Taking down and storing yours will cause shrinkage and brittleness....why drain the pool at all? Leave it up and lower water below the return and cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal f

I am about to go for this solution for my 18'x52" and am thankful for all the tips here. I will add my experience when done...might be of interest since I am doing this inside a retractable enclosure (year round saltwater pool in a greenhouse that opens up). This sounds great since I used to have patches applied to the gapped areas near the top of the frame to keep the water in better and won't have to do that with this method.

Just to let you know this worked out great.....Be swimming with Dora and Nemo soon....installing piping to sand and saltwater system...
couldn't get the wrinks out on the sides...but still looking good....thanks

View attachment 35718

View attachment 35717

How did your pool fair with the new liner? We'd love to see pics of it full! Thanks!!!

Thanks so much for all of the great info. We thought we were going to have to trash our 24'x52" pool but now we have ordered a new overlap liner. It should be here in a couple of weeks and we will begin our project. i can't wait to see how it turns out.

I am also having intex pool trouble and would like to install a liner as these folks have. My pool is the 22x52 and after reading all this I THINK I need a 21x52 overlap expandable liner? The pool measures 21' 1'' inside to inside at the top and is 52' from the floor to the top of the rail. Any help is appreciated! Ebay is full of liners, at $99 to $199. How do I pick the best one? 25 mil seems to be standard but one seller says that means nothing, it is just a sales gimmick.

I am also having intex pool trouble and would like to install a liner as these folks have. My pool is the 22x52 and after reading all this I THINK I need a 21x52 overlap expandable liner? The pool measures 21' 1'' inside to inside at the top and is 52' from the floor to the top of the rail. Any help is appreciated! Ebay is full of liners, at $99 to $199. How do I pick the best one? 25 mil seems to be standard but one seller says that means nothing, it is just a sales gimmick.

Get the 25 mil. It is not a gimmick. The higher the mil/g the better the liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.