Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal frame

Re: Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal f

dodgegirlz said:
Can you tell me specifically what and how you used/how you used the bungee kit and grommets?
I got the grommets from Harbor Freight. They are called "15 Piece Super Snap Grommet Value Pack". There are two pieces to each grommet that you don’t use any tools to install. You place the round piece behind the liner and then press the hollow piece in between the liner and round piece. It is kinda hard to get them to snap togethe with the 25ml liner but it does. My thumbs were sore after I was done. I placed one between each leg and ran a string from the grommet to the bottom to secure it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,842
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,719

I'm going to be trying this very soon, but I was wondering should I buy the 18' x 52", 60" or 72" liner, it seems you had plenty of excess liner with the 72". If I understand the expanding liner correctly, it gives excess liner in the 18' bottom so it can be dug out to a deeper depth, maybe this is why you have a lot of wrinkles??? I'm just not sure if the 18' x 52" will have enought overlap to secure the tarp clips properly... Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I would go with the 60" if you don't want that much over hang. I just didn't want to come up short since this was the time doing it and it was easier with more hang over. When I was researching about the liners I found out that the expandable liner is extremely difficult to get all wrinkles out and that is when it is used for the correct pools and not the Intex pool. The wrinkles have smoothed out some on my bottom but have them on the sides so that tells me that it's not the depth of the liner that caused them, it's the circumference. But the wrinkles aren't that bad.

Hbah923 said:
When I was researching about the liners I found out that the expandable liner is extremely difficult to get all wrinkles out and that is when it is used for the correct pools and not the Intex pool.
That is not my experience, expandable liners are best stretched into place, which could be done on an intex as well. You would suspend the liner above the bottom, then allow the water to stretch it down and into the corners. This eliminates much of the wrinkling.

I called the online manufacturer and they could not give me exact dimensions on the wall height of liner on the 52"( I know 52" is the hieght, but you should have some excess) they said it has a few extra inches! Thx for input I'm def. going with the 60" I'll take and post pics as soon as I recieve the liner!

LOL. I had made calls to and I couldn't get a straight answer. I would get a different answer every time I talked to someone. That's why I went with the 72". I figured it would be a start and maybe help others find better. Can't wait for your pics. Good luck.

I decided to be bold and take one for the better good of all other intex pool owners, I bought the 18'x52" liner to give it a try and hopefully prevail:) my hope is that I will have enough over hang to secure the tarp clips, I will try this later on today and report back to all!

It should work, since overlap liners needs some hang over too even on standard agps. At the start, if it's an expandable (and even if it isn't), you can do the "stretch" in approach I mentioned below.

I bought it at Leslie's pools here in San Antonio Tx for $135 but also got a $20 gift card for spending over $100, but I've seen them on eBay for $99, I was just too impatient to wait for shipping!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Wonderful idea gonna use it next week I have a 24'x52" intex and want to get 1 more. Summer out of it but I've already patched the original liner like 6 times so I hope this works

It will The 18'x52" liner worked well for me. The liner wall was closer to 57"-58" on the 52" so I had enough overhang to secure the tarp clips, hbah923 made a great guide to follow, do use the tarp clips he recommends, I tried to use regular tarp clips and they slipped right off:) I'll post pics in the next day or so!!!

I joined today just so I could see the pictures in this thread. My 18x48 intex ultra frame has only been up 3 weeks and developed a hole where the bottom seam is. We went to get the patch kit, came back outside and it had become a 10" split! I have written to intex repeatedly and get no response. I called and got someone with a very strong Indian accent and couldn't understand a word she was saying (being hard of hearing didn't help me any with the accent). I am more than a little annoyed by this and figured I might as well try this idea here in this thread. Intex certainly isn't standing by their product and having a 3 week old pool sitting out in the yard useless in the summer in Florida is ridiculous.

The pictures will certainly help me with this project.

Thanks!

This is amazing on a budget, I was close to ordering new liner, but now this will solve the problem and sence pool deck will cover most of the front of the pool, this will work amazing, thanks for all the good ideas :)

Hello,
I just read this today. just ordered a liner and am going to get the tarp grommets tomorrow. How are you planning on draining the pool?

This is such a life saver, this is my 3rd year with the liner and I have about 6 or 7 patches covering leaks, and now I have a new leak somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.