Installing IntelliChlor transformer/board in Intellicenter

scchan1w

Mar 6, 2019
Fremont, CA
Hi,

I'm not yet ready to covert to a salt pool, but was wondering if it's possible to add the IntelliChlor transformer and circuit board to an Intellicenter load center that does not have it pre-installed?

I believe if I bought the IntelliChlor Power Center, it should have all the components needed to remove and reinstall in the IntelliCenter, although I think the cord that provides the connectivity port would be too short when placed into an IntelliCenter. It seems this 2 foot replacement cord would work:

One piece that might be missing is the 24v circuit breaker. I don't see this in my panel but I see it on the load centers with the IntelliChlor transformer installed. Maybe this is already part of the board from the IntelliChlor power center, I don't know. Any info about this retrofit would be appreciated. I know I should have maybe just bought the Intellicenter with IC60, but I just wasn't sure if I would do the conversion. Also, I realize I could use the standalone power center for the IC60, but would like a "cleaner" installed if/when the time comes. Thank you.

S,
It can be done, but you will have to patch some stuff together..

The power supply card (Surge card) that comes with the Power Center is different than the one that comes with the IntelliCenter. The one in the IntelliCenter has a plug for the output, but the power center surge card is hard wired..

Seems like a lot of work for very little gain... I always recommend buying the automation with the internal SWCG power supply, but in your case I would just recommend adding the external power center.

Thanks,

Jim R.

@scchan1w
You'll need four parts to make this happen.

1. Pentair Load Center IntelliChlor SCG XFMR 521441. I'm pretty sure that this is the transformer that you will need but just confirm that fact before you make the purchase.

2. The Circuit Breaker. I have no idea what the part number is but the vendor contact info that I will provide for you below, should be able to help. I'm trying to avoid tearing my system apart to get that number for you. :thumleft: That circuit breaker will be a 12 amp low voltage rocker-type breaker, gray in color.

3. Pentair PCBA# 521593.... This is the IntelliChlor Controller Circuit Board which mounts on the back wall of the Load Center Low-Voltage compartment just to the left of the low-voltage circuit breaker mounting bracket.

4. PENTAIR 520724 - INTELLICHLOR CELL/PCBA CONNECTION CABLE... Female cannon plug mounts at the bottom of the low-voltage raceway in the knock-out provided for that purpose (mounts with 4 small bolts). The 4 pin white/clear female connector runs up the race-way and into the low-voltage compartment and connects to the 4-pin white/clear plastic connector from the IntelliChlor Controller Circuit Board.

Give the following folks a call. I have found them
to have a high level of IntelliCenter knowledge, good customer service, fast and free shipping and no sales taxes. They also offer very competitive prices This opinion comes from my own personal experience and I have no financial interest in or any other affiliation with this company.

Also give Pentair a call. Depending on who you get on the phone will determine the level of satisfaction you get out of the call. Sorry to have to say that, but it's the truth...
Pentair Customer Service / Technical Support -
  • Customer Service
8 AM to 8 PM — Eastern and Pacific Times
Phone: (800) 831-7133
Fax: (800) 284-4151
  • Technical Support
Toll Free (800) 831-7133, * Press 1-1-1-1-1-3 for IntelliCenter

Good luck there with your project and please let us know how it goes...
r.

EDIT: And oh yea. Almost forgot the most important component (and most expensive.) You'll need the appropriate IntelliChlor cell as well. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you so much MyAZPool and Jimrahbe! I've read a lot of post from you guys in the past couple of weeks and learned a great deal. I did call Pentair tech support and the response I got was that the panel was different between the salt and no salt Intellicenter and it wasn't possible to retrofit it. I guess they are not thinking we are doing the kind of surgery that's being done here!

Reactions: MyAZPool
Here are a few pictures of my install. It feels incredible to go from 1980s technology to the latest and greatest. The first time I logged into the system and saw the GUI, the history screen, the weather, etc. it felt like I went through a time machine. Looking forward to controlling everything and changing thing from my phone or computer without hanging around the pad!

IMG_6822.jpgIMG_6824.jpgIMG_6845.jpg

Reactions: MyAZPool
Thank you so much MyAZPool and Jimrahbe! I've read a lot of post from you guys in the past couple of weeks and learned a great deal. I did call Pentair tech support and the response I got was that the panel was different between the salt and no salt Intellicenter and it wasn't possible to retrofit it. I guess they are not thinking we are doing the kind of surgery that's being done here!
Nice...
Then if that's the case, I should send them some photos of my load center now... Ha, that would be hoot. But I'll also have to send them a photo of the front door panel as well, just so I can get their priceless reaction. :laughblue: Here is a sample of what I mean... Highly modified now to meet MY specs, not theirs...

C866425B-1302-484B-957D-0A47B65DB0D5_1_105_c.jpeg 6EAFB160-6AB6-4F9C-AB8C-86DEFF3AE5E4_1_105_c.jpeg 72FCF16A-9900-4F93-896D-7781D68A1FEC_1_105_c.jpeg

Thanks and take care...

Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of my install. It feels incredible to go from 1980s technology to the latest and greatest. The first time I logged into the system and saw the GUI, the history screen, the weather, etc. it felt like I went through a time machine. Looking forward to controlling everything and changing thing from my phone or computer without hanging around the pad!

View attachment 171772View attachment 171773View attachment 171774
That a way. Have fun with your new system. You'll enjoy it.
r.

It looks almost plug and play. Could you confirm that one red wire from the transformer goes into the center "AC" terminal of the PCB and the other red wire from the transformer goes to the 12A low voltage breaker? Then the red wire from the PCB goes into the other terminal of the 12A breaker? Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 10.11.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-28 at 10.11.37 PM.png

S,

The most important thing is to make sure that the Primary AC input (120 or 240 VAC) to the SWCG transformer, is wired through the Pump/Filter relay.. This will prevent the SWCG from running when the pump is not scheduled to run.

one red wire from the transformer goes into the center "AC" terminal of the PCB and the other red wire from the transformer goes to the 12A low voltage breaker? Then the red wire from the PCB goes into the other terminal of the 12A breaker?

Yep.. and the yellow/green goes to chassis ground. On my EasyTouch there is a ground connection right next to the Surge card.

You will also need an RS-485 jumper cable that goes between the main Com port and the Surge card.

Thanks,

Jim R.

@scchan1w

Here is your wiring diagram. Don't laugh too hard. I'm neither an artist or an electrical draftsman and have never claimed to be. :p But this should get the job done.

2020-12-29_08-23-13.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of the circuit breaker you need. It appears that your part# is: CTB-B-B-12. They're literally all over the internet. Digi-Key, eBay, Amazon, etc., etc....

E02DA3D6-D762-4B48-98BE-5954F82CBD53_1_105_c.jpeg FBFBBAA2-3106-47B3-9D25-A667E4BE1B82_1_105_c.jpeg

The IntelliChlor Controller Circuit Board communicates to the IntelliCenter MotherBoard via an RS-485 4-conductor, 22 AWG or larger cable.
The cable connects to either JP2, JP3 or JP4 on the IntelliChlor Controller Circuit Board and connects to either of the COM PORTS on the MotherBoard. Either RS485-A (J5) OR RS485-B (J4).
Here is a diagram and which can also be found on pp 33 of your IntelliCenter Control System Installation Guide.

2020-12-29_08-35-08.jpg

2020-12-29_08-29-46.jpg

Here is the information from the bottom of the transformer that may be useful to you...

B6C39815-2DD6-42C5-9C5A-B552F10B9E45_1_105_c.jpeg

Here are the two COM PORTS on the MotherBoard.

2020-12-29_08-53-11.jpg

Have fun.. ;)
r.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.