Installing Heat-pump myself?

May 29, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Hello,

I'm looking at heat-pumps for my pool. I'll need an electrician (practically and legally) for wiring to the site - but is there any reason that the rest of this can't be DIY. I know the collective knowledge of TFP will put me on the right track.

It seems like the plumbing is trivial and the guidance on location/clearance/setup is all easy enough.

If anyone has done this successfully themselves, or can tell me "NO! Don't try it" I'd be grateful.

Thanks
M

Seeing more heat pump installs here in desert for cooling pool in summer months.
Yes, be sure to get 8 gauge bare copper bonding wire to reach. One thing I’ve heard is to be sure it’s either on a poured concrete base. Or elevated foam/concrete dipped pad. The paver approach might not be level and lead to noice and dangerous vibrations.

Seeing more heat pump installs here in desert for cooling pool in summer months.
Yes, be sure to get 8 gauge bare copper bonding wire to reach. One thing I’ve heard is to be sure it’s either on a poured concrete base. Or elevated foam/concrete dipped pad. The paver approach might not be level and lead to noice and dangerous vibrations.

Thanks Kevin - that is a good tip re levelling and vibration.

How hot would the pool water get in the summer? My wife reckons there is no such thing as too warm (we disagree on this).

Cheers

This summer my pool reached 97 degrees. Like a bathtub, but not inviting if it’s so hot as it often is here.
Ambient temps in daytime never dip below 110 and evening to 95 for about 70 straight days, so it’s less than refreshing. We had 4 days that peaked at 126!!! Cooling down pool to high 80s is the sweet spot. Most of the hotel pools do that here also.

The plumbing might be a little more than you're thinking. I am not sure. but I believe there are some pre-charged gas lines that need to be installed (under high pressure) and then that gas charge needs to be balanced with a set of gauges.

I certainly don't know if that presents an obstacle to you......perhaps you can learn all that online. perhaps you don't even need to balance the charge any more. Just food for thought.

I just finished installing my used (electric) heat pump. I had no issues with the install. I did everything myself, planning, concrete pad, plumbing and electrical. Everything is working as it should. If you have basic knowledge of plumbing and electrical you should be good to go.

This summer my pool reached 97 degrees. Like a bathtub, but not inviting if it’s so hot as it often is here.
Ambient temps in daytime never dip below 110 and evening to 95 for about 70 straight days, so it’s less than refreshing. We had 4 days that peaked at 126!!! Cooling down pool to high 80s is the sweet spot. Most of the hotel pools do that here also.

Wow - I've never been anywhere that warm. Sydney gets the occasional day above 100F but it is rare enough to be newsworthy. I can see why a good heatpump is essential. The evaporation must be pretty severe there too right?

- - - Updated - - -

The plumbing might be a little more than you're thinking. I am not sure. but I believe there are some pre-charged gas lines that need to be installed (under high pressure) and then that gas charge needs to be balanced with a set of gauges.

I certainly don't know if that presents an obstacle to you......perhaps you can learn all that online. perhaps you don't even need to balance the charge any more. Just food for thought.

Thanks Dave and Joshua also.

Once I've chosen a model I'm going to have to do a fair bit of reading. If all else fails I will call the father-in-law, I know he can handle anything except the electrics, which I'm required by law to get a sparky to do.

Thanks again for your advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Heat pumps are self contained. It doesn't have another coil somewhere else that requires use of gauges to check "precharge stuff" or what ever you called it. That would be the AC system on your house. ;-)

Most home HVAC systems are either "package" or "split". The package units come precharged with the correct amount of refrigerant/oil, nothing to do with the refrigerant on a new install. Split units come precharged too: enough for the condenser, the evaporator (A-coil), and a 20 foot line set. If you have to add more than one line set, you will have to add refrigerant. I have never installed a pool heat pump but would think that they would be precharged as well. In essence, a pool heat pump is like a package unit: evaporator and condensor are under the same cover.

Automotive applications come precharged with oil, but not refrigerant: it can be different for each vehicle. The service manual for automotive use tells you how much refrigerant to add by weight.

I have no experience with industrial refrigeration. I would think due to the significant differences in line length and evaporator styles that they might not be precharged.

I would have installed mine but I was lead to believe the warranty is voided. Good thing I guess b/c the compressor crapped out last week. So repair was as easy As a phone call to PB.

It’s a packaged deal. If you are good with PVC then it wouldn’t be hard at all. Be prepared to deal with a lot of condensation that just flows all over your pool pad and just the physical size of the thing.

Here is a shot of mine from last month during the build.
d8cdf86816b9530c52755e6e272b5dd8.jpg

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

I would have installed mine but I was lead to believe the warranty is voided. Good thing I guess b/c the compressor crapped out last week. So repair was as easy As a phone call to PB.

It’s a packaged deal. If you are good with PVC then it wouldn’t be hard at all. Be prepared to deal with a lot of condensation that just flows all over your pool pad and just the physical size of the thing.

Thanks Todd - that's an excellent point. I guess I have to weigh it all up. The logistics of moving a big unit like this to the right position might be something best left to younger folks than me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.